Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Publishing only changed pages

I am slightly confused.

1. When do you have to export the site before publishing? Sometimes Xara seems to force it.

2. When does Xara choose to update all pages versus just say the modified page despite "Re-publish changed files only" being set in the web properties under the publish tab.

3. Why does Xara refer to files and not "pages"? I've seen the entire site re-published and at other times just one page and I cannot seem to determine why?

Default Re: Publishing only changed pages

Yeh, you've post twice now in the wrong forum for Web related questions V12CatMan.
    You'll get better attention from those with the answers in the correct forum.

Sorry about that Steve. Trying to get my arms around the new version having been away from the web for a while. Tried to search but can't seem to get a clear understanding of the behavior.

Please refer to the DP6 Help File and perform a 'Search' query for: publish tab
    This page has the answers you are looking for.

Further questions on this topic are best posted in the correct forum thanks.

This is a ridiculous attitude. Why the hell can you not talk about features in Designer Pro simply because they are related to a specific set of tools? Why not break it up entirely so that I don't have to listen to people who draw and they don't have to listen to people like me who use other features? It seems completely arbitrary and very inconsistent. It also makes it much harder to participate in these forums than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Please refer to the DP6 Help File and perform a 'Search' query for: publish tab
    This page has the answers you are looking for.

Further questions on this topic are best posted in the correct forum thanks.
    Well I read the help file AGAIN. Same result - It does not appear to address my questions 1 or 2. But maybe what I'm encountering is referred to in the help file under
    "Re-publish changed files only
    By default Xara Designer Pro 6 keeps track of the files that make up your published website and when you come to re-publish after making changes to your site, it attempts to re-publish only the files that have changed. This makes re-publishing much quicker in most cases."

Maybe it's "attempting" and failing. Hmm. Don't think I updated repeating pages. Will test some more.

This is a ridiculous attitude. Why the hell can you not talk about features in Designer Pro simply because they are related to a specific set of tools?
    Because Designer Pro is the Swiss Army knife of Xara products, containing ALL features of two separate & independent programs. Members of Web Designer don't wish to wade through non web related questions and vice-versa.

That is why the forums have been set up in this manner. Not all users are Designer Pro owners/users. Is it really very difficult to ask "Is my question more Web based or more Graphics based?" and then posting within the correct forum?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by V12CatMan View Post
    I am slightly confused.

2. When does Xara choose to update all pages versus just say the modified page despite "Re-publish changed files only" being set in the web properties under the publish tab.
    Its seems that if you turn visibility off and back on Xara re-publishes all pages even if you do not change a page.

Interesting observation. Are you able to offer any proof of this. My testing shows it not to be so, but I might be misunderstanding what you mean by "visibility off and back on".

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Interesting observation. Are you able to offer any proof of this. My testing shows it not to be so, but I might be misunderstanding what you mean by "visibility off and back on".
    Steve - Let me think on how I can prove it. Maybe someone else can confirm. Just select 1st page, click on the visibility icon (maybe change visibility of select items) once or twice and then publish.