Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Comparing my Xara 4 to other options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
    Do you guys think that my Xara version 4 is worth upgrading to version 5 or 6
    Since we have no idea what your usage of Xara includes, it's decidedly difficult to advise. If you are happy with XX4, stick with it. If you want more but budget is a limitation, upgrade to XXP5, if not go the whole hog and upgrade to XDP6.

FWIW, 30 days is easily enough time check out the new features that interest you of one or other of the newer versions.

There

ah irony, why do I bother with it [rhetorical]...

I'm well aware of what ver 4 has - the point was: do the new features in ver 6 sound appealing, and if so do any of the alternative options you are considering have them; if so we could maybe compare, if members have any of said alternatives installed

otherwise its all a bit airy-fairy - you do not get sensible answers to questions like 'is inkscape better than xtreme' or 'is illustrator better than corel draw' - and the forums are full of threads to prove it

despite the thread title, most replies seem to have been to the question in your first post, regarding upgrade.....so....

.....if you have problems with version 4 and you want help - yes ask in the appropriate forum - you should get help, and it may help you decide..
    Last edited by handrawn; 29 July 2010 at 01:51 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    Since we have no idea what your usage of Xara includes, it's decidedly difficult to advise. If you are happy with XX4, stick with it. If you want more but budget is a limitation, upgrade to XXP5, if not go the whole hog and upgrade to XDP6.

FWIW, 30 days is easily enough time check out the new features that interest you of one or other of the newer versions.

There
    Not when you are slowly learning what the techniques are to begin with. Not when you're a stay at home dad with near-0 time. So this stuff is all sporadically worked on---I would discover the new mis-features far too late, especially since as I learn I'm exploring new features.

I was more looking for off-the-cuff answers like "I never much found a reason to change revs---the new one has a lot of bugs that bother me." Or "Totally, rev 6 with its new interface is so much more intuitive." And especially things like "Inkscape now does everything---don't even both with Xara." I don't even know the other apps out there that you all might be using aside from Corel and or AI.

The answers in the middle, which I think you would indeed need work-flow needs information in detail, aren't likely to show up too awfully much: There is honestly no way for me to even know the questions to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    despite the thread title, most replies seem to have been to the question in your first post, regarding upgrade.....so....
    The question seems answered already, but why would you say something like "despite" and "the question in the first post"? Are you implying that the thread title didn't match the first post? If not, I apologize, but if so: the first post was nearly identical in explication to the thread title. In the first post I was clear:

This thread does not belong in any of the xara specific forums because I'm comparing my current xara rev to other alternatives as well.

Do you guys think that my Xara version 4 is worth upgrading to version 5 or 6 given the other alternatives on the market?
    etc.

That aside, it seems that there is nothing that particularly stands out as impressive nor disasterous enough for people to make a comment on given a purposefully vague question. So like I said a couple times already "asked and answered".

Thanks all. <---not sarcasm.

That aside, it seems that there is nothing that particularly stands out as impressive nor disasterous enough for people to make a comment on given a purposefully vague question.
    If you were a cartoonist using a tablet, you probably would be delighted by the enhanced tablet support for pen drawing. Nobody has particularly mentioned it because you have been so vague. Several people have said how pleased they have been by this one feature. Since I don't cartoon or have a tablet, it's not of help to me.

Your vagueness doesn't invite people to contribute suggestions and the lack of posts doesn't mean there have not been important improvements to Xara software since version 4.0.
    Last edited by pauland; 29 July 2010 at 06:27 PM.

You still have not said what you use Xara far. Since we have no idea what your usage of Xara includes, it's decidedly difficult to advise. If you are happy with XX4, stick with it. If you want more but budget is a limitation, upgrade to XXP5, if not go the whole hog and upgrade to XDP6.

Are you implying that the thread title didn't match the first post?
    no its just that you emphasised in bold type the upgrade part - so thats the important bit it seemed - not the rest of it.. no matter

.... a purposefully vague question.....
    is one that rarely gets a precise answer....

I take it you are happy for now - hope we were helpful - when you know the ver 4 better you will be in a better position to quantify the upgrade

good luck - and come back when you need to, we like to be helpful where we can
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    You still have not said what you use Xara far. Since we have no idea what your usage of Xara includes, it's decidedly difficult to advise. If you are happy with XX4, stick with it. If you want more but budget is a limitation, upgrade to XXP5, if not go the whole hog and upgrade to XDP6.
    I did say what I use it for. Plus as also stated I am learning things as I go. So it's unclear what even to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    is one that rarely gets a precise answer....
    Don't rolleyes. As explained, any precise answer you would give would not make much sense. I *COULD* have concocted a precise question but it would be of no use because what I am doing now will likely not apply to what I would be doing once I get better at exercising the abilities of these things. Purposefully imprecise is precisely what is called for here.

In any case, like I pointed out I am not seeing "Holy MOG do not go to rev 5", nor "Drop everything and go with Dwight Schmidlap Draw" or whatever, nor even "Everything really got easier in rev 6 in my opinion".

Take care.

life is a learning process
    Nothing lasts forever...