Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default :D wierd problem with ctrl Key. :D

one of the control key on my laptop doesn't work when i press it singularly, and when i press it and the numbers or the letters together. However, it does work with the Arrow keys ( for moving from words, lines or para) and with shift key to select)

Its not a virus prob, as i have formatted my pc and reinstalled the windows . i checked it with a Key Checker software, and it also doesnt show that Control key. do u think its hardware prob and i should show the service center?

Please let me know, as the service center is very far from my place, and i want to be confirmed before going there.

Default Re: :D wierd problem with ctrl Key. :D

With what little info I have on your system, I think it's software related. Maybe a non-Windows software that is installed along with Windows? Dell has some stuff for the touchpad and wifi-card, for example.
    Also, have you checked your keyboard and language settings in the control panel?

Default Re: :D wierd problem with ctrl Key. :D

Reboot the computer into safe mode and test it like that. If it's software related the chances are in safe mode the offending software won't be loaded into memory.

Or you can spend a little time to make a linux distro from one of the many iso files out there and see if it works in linux.

Try Hiren's boot disk as well. On booting from the cd you get the option of a working cut down version of xp in which to test your hardware.

Hope it helps.