Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is the Bevel Tool So Special???

Why is it that I can perform boolean operations on shapes with shadows, or even with Photoshop filters applied, and everything remains editable, but when I do it to a beveled shape, it breaks the bevel and turns it all into a useless group of garbage?I have been working on a UI for someone this week and I must have removed and reapplied about a hundred bevels. It gets real old, real fast.
    Something else that would be a huge boon would be if the shadow and bevel tools remembered the last settings used, the way quick shapes now seem to remember fills and stuff [which I don't really care about and find no more helpful that the way they were], so I didn't have to do it manually every time I wanted to apply the same bevel/shadow to a new object. Pasting attributes doesn't always work.

Default Re: Why is the Bevel Tool So Special???

Here's an idea. Create your bevels by drawing them from scratch as vector objects instead using of the bevel tool. That way your bevels will be infinitely editable instead of being solid, uneditable bitmaps!

Problem solved!

Hi bones,
    I'm totally agree with you, many times I suffered having to repeat bevels.
    Best regards
    Javier

Bevels and Shadows are Live Effects, creative bitmap filters, if you like. As such they have severe editing limitations in complex vector drawings. As I have stated above, the only way around this is to create or convert them into vector objects. In doing so you remove those limitations. If anybody has another solution, please do contribute to this thread.

In xara helps says you can paste bevel attributes if the end shape has a bevel applied, I tried it but it doesn't work well, may be I'm doing something wrong.
    Best regards
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by jvila View Post
    In xara helps says you can paste bevel attributes if the end shape has a bevel applied, I tried it but it doesn't work well, may be I'm doing something wrong.
    No, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Paste attributes when working with bevels is, let's say, "variable" at best!

I have problems too; have taken out a ticket.

One thing I have realised is that you need the bevel (not just the shape) to be selected, both when copying and pasting attributes
    Last edited by tonylondon; 14 July 2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: late info
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    Bevels and Shadows are Live Effects, creative bitmap filters, if you like. As such they have severe editing limitations in complex vector drawings.
    No, they don't. You can do anything you like to a shape and it's shadow will always update. It is only bevels that get broken, which is the point of my question - why do some things update perfectly well while others don't. If the behaviour was consistent between tools, I would not have asked at all.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 19 July 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: fix broken bbcode

OT: I wish brushes created with linked colors wouldn't be ignored as well!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Nostaw, perhaps this example might help. If you have anymore questions concerning brushes myself and others will be glad to answer in a new thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.