Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: XDP6 golden Compass

Thanks Keith for the Explain the reflection point.
    Larry, i must follow Valery advice, becouse of he is interior design teacher of graphic design. also he learnt what about Graphics, light reflection and all thing about Graphics and he teatch another people at Graphic school.
    I don´t learn any thing about Graphics, i do this as hoppy and fun with Xara. so i realy appreciate his advice and follow it and i´m glad to find someone who tell me about what is wrong in my drawing.
    Thanks again Valery for your advices and suggestions.
    And thank you all for your comments, suggestions and advices.
    Best Regards BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Very nice drawings, M.

Your window highlight is too extreme however. The glass on the compass is a very gentle curve and will not cause that much distortion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	74696  

I have been struggling with this problem since yesterday. Finally I found a light bulb and sure enough you guys are correct. But there are so many variables. Does the reflection meet the edge of the sphere, well that depends on the distance the source reflection is from the sphere, viewing angle, maybe the curvature(although I couldn't test this.), etc. etc. etc. as for the fading that seems to be very subtle but it did seem that the brightest area was closest to the light source therefore I maintain that some artistic license is needed for the sake of the picture even if it’s not 100% correct.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sometimes it helps to consult reality. This is a photo wide angle lens that has a slight curvature placed in front of a window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	74702  

Wink Re: XDP6 golden Compass

Hi wizard509 - I found that all your conclusions are valid. The closer to the window the closer the reflection starts on the left side of the bulb, etc. Of course a clear light bulb is not a half globe! When I positioned the bulb far enough from the window to get a small, complete reflection, another relection appears 180 degrees away on the other side of the bulb. And again the sizes of the reflection on the bulb are mirror opposites of each other. One is broad to narrow and the other is narrow to broad. Hi gwpriester - In the above experiment I did not find to be true what was in your beautiful art work. My reflections did not lose sharpness. Both sides were as sharply focused or almost as sharp. Which brings to my mind a question. If someone wants his work to be that precise in all respects, why not just use a camera and snap a pic!

Quote Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
    why not just use a camera and snap a pic!
    Why cook a delicious meal when I can buy a take-away

This movies (1 and 2) show glass on the table and reflection of a window that is on top (in the ceiling for ex.)
    Movie #3 shows reflection of a window on the wall.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Gary and Valery very interesting examples, Gary your photo shows what my mind told me might be true in the beginning when I started yapping about this. Sylvan, my test showed a second reflection like you noted but I didn't pay too much attention to it, at the time I was more focused on the bigger one. It is interesting to note that Gary's photo shows this second reflection phenomenon as well. Thanks one and all for contributing to my enlightenment. Gary I would like to keep that photo for reference if you don’t mind. Keith, thank you for your example as well.
    Last edited by wizard509; 21 July 2010 at 12:34 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi RUSS-USSR. Thanks very much for the movie tutorial. I think I am learning more than the blackpanther! haha. Anyway, after all this talk and tutorials, I think that the BlackPanther should be back on track. And I am expecting some great work from the BlackPanther now!

BP, you out did your-self again. You never cease to surprise me. That is absolutely fantastic. Whenever I get time, I'll have to try this style. I like it. Thanks for the tutorial

Merv