Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Welcome Standby,

That is an interesting analogy to use. Whenever I am showing a person how to use a vector program I often use that same terminilogy along with "collage" (sp?). This helps them understand why objects can't be "woven" in and out of each other, why the order of objects which overlap each other is important, and, later on, why layers can be important.

Problem is, often I forget it my self and begin to put in unecessary complexity. Your portrait is a good example and a good reminder.

Very nice portrait. Thanks for posting. Soquili, yours is nice too. Thanks .
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Turan,
    You are trying to draw or improve on perfection.- impossible. That's a beautiful daughter and a wonderful photo. You're off to a good start, and others have made practical suggestions. The skin tones are tough. I sometimes do caricatures of prominent people and friends; I'm usually disappointed when I try my own family. It's difficult. Good luck. Neil

Well, as my art teacher not to long ago said, faces should be the easiest thing to recreate, we see them a thousand times a day and even stare at them sometimes. I agree that they SHOULD be easy to draw, but I'm definentally not in that category of those that can! I can do it all right with pencil/ink, but a mouse is a whole different story!

Turan, I honestly think your portraite is fine. When I first saw it I noticed nothing about color or anything else, I thought it looked good! Now maybe it's just a lack of artistic knowledge on my part, but I think the color of it was done on purpose and was there to add a kind of mood to it. It gives it a kind of, but not really an abstract look to it. Great job

Steve Newpor
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Ok, does anyone ever experience the problem of these forums cutting off the last part of your message, Namingly your NAME!? I have the automatic signature thing so at the end of each message it puts "Steve Newport" but so many times it has left the "T" out of Newport!
    It's probably just me, oh wel [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Thanks to all. Will download and check out you file Soquili. Thanks for spending the time.

Standay, thanks for the example.

Neil, think you could be right. I picked Zara as I thought I would stick with it and not give up. But that just makes perfection harder. Have done some characatures of people before (pen and ink days) but new to the vector bit.

Steve, I think you hit on something - as with Standay's cut-out approach I was not trying to capture everthing so hence I was going for the abstract approach. Still would like to work on the colours. Don't think my pic is up to Standay's yet. All that said, can't get over how Soquili did so well and did not go for the cut-out look.

Thanks, Turan