Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Why must we still contend with this

Template lover here also, For my print work i have set templates with mm and artwork I use pixels, other large outputs i use scaling factors all within their own templates.

There's less work seeing as everything is pre-set already. Whats next? people will be complaining that there isn't a button in here that draws what you want instantly.
    I ate my crayon.

Sounds like to me that education as to Xara's approach is the key. Perhaps this could be reinforced somehow in the Help file or something as basic as a notation in the Options > Units dialog or tooltip for the input box or an alert when changing units (which could be turned off by the user once they "see the light")

A really BIG plus for me with a document storing settings (like Print Options > Output settings) has been when passing a file onto less experienced users ... I can make life easier for them as I know somethings won't automatically be overridden when they open the file.

yes i am blushing and like i said i have used this product for some years and read much about the program however never knew that it was geared in this direction, I just opened a document and set the units, cussed a little and got to work

Again, thanks everyone for the lesson, just goes to show your not too old to learn new tricks

Alan

I dont know Alan, and I wasn't that interested in this topic at first, but I saw the reason for his post, and learned something in the meantime. And while Alan started out a bit perturbed, his sportsmanship at the end is indicative of why this community is so great. Some recent spats notwithstanding, almost all here are more interested in learning, not in who's right or wrong.

Kudos to Alan's example, and three cheers for the talk graphics family, the once-and-future way it was (is).

I know it's been answered already in a different way but just in case some don't understand, let me see if I can make this simple, Click on the following...

1. Start
    2. Computer or My Computer
    3. Drive C
    4. Program Files(x86)...I use Vista so this is my option
    5. Xara
    6. Xara Designer Pro 6
    7. Templates
    8. ENG
    9. Whichever page(Template) you want to Change the Units on

When Xara opens up that page(template), go to the options, change it to the units you want it to be as your default, close the page, when Closing Document box pops up, click on Save and from now on, that particular page(template) will open up with your desired untis already set.

There will be no need to make another template as others have suggested.

I'm a firm believer in being as straight forward as possible and answering a question as straight forward as possible as well. All these other answers asking you to make another template and questioning why you would want something a certain way are just a waste of time and adds to the confusion more than they help.

Although posting a picture is always very helpful, it is useless to people that are somewhat computer illiterate if it doesn't have any instructions along with it.

Anyhow, if you haven't already solved this problem, I hope this will help you out.

You can do that from within the program lilcholo, that's the point
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    You can do that from within the program lilcholo, that's the point
    You can?

I know how to change the options on the units and such but how does one save it to be the default?...within the program itself?

Quote Originally Posted by lilcholo View Post
    but how does one save it to be the default?...within the program itself?
    Main menu / File / Save template...
    Then in the save dialog select "Use as default template" check box.
    You can have any filename and you don't have to specify the path to where the templates are stores as it is set by default.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Main menu / File / Save template...
    Then in the save dialog select "Use as default template" check box.
    You can have any filename and you don't have to specify the path to where the templates are stores as it is set by default.
    Ahhh, thanks!

So I guess someone should have just said....

1. Open desired template
    2. Set desired unit in options
    3. File> Save Template

I find using bullets or numbered steps makes things easier to explain things....as well as understand them.

Anyhow, this still adds another template.

I think the real point here was having a certain unit set as a default for the templates already provided but adding another template/s isn't a biggie either.

For me, having to change the units from inches to pixels is also no biggie but I understand the point of being able to set whichever unit we desire to be the default and having that option in the Unit Options Dialog would have been great.

Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by lilcholo View Post
    Anyhow, this still adds another template.
    Not necessary, you can chose the file to overwrite right in the save dialog. Have you tried this at all?
    John.