Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spurious internal error

Can anyone open one of these? I worked on these and saved them and even opened them again but when I try today I get errors in 3, 4 and 5 versions. I tried the Expander but it didn't help. I can't figure why it won't open except that it says it can't read file 3040, or something like that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Spurious internal error

Here you go Nancy, I went straight to X1, opened and resaved.

Maybe some LE's missing, but they looked ok to me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Steve. Makes me wish I have X1, lol. I said I tried it X3,X4 and X5 but I don't have X3....I have X2. That's as far back as I go.

Do you have an idea why this happens? I would like to avoid it in the future. Thanks.

Nancy it may be due to using Live Effects. Xtreme 2.0 was the first version to have the Live Effects Tool. Xara X¹ was the version just prior to the release of Xtreme 2.0. It can recover files that may be corrupted by a Live Effect because it simply ignores records indicating they are features it does not know about.

I only use the Live Effects that are available through Xara, and I have never had a problem. It may be that some of the 3rd party plugins (filters) that seem to work with Xtreme are the cause of the errors.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill. I rarely use any kind of live effect and was surprised that there was one in these files. I might have used a blur but that's all I can think of. That should be Xara's.

My computer is getting VERY old. That my be part of the problem. I was going to try and fix that one from my friend but 'someone' still has my processor and memory cards. I'm going to have to start looking at what my next setup is going to be and start shopping around. It's obvious that I'm going to have to purchase something but I really don't know what to look for.

Right now I'm rushing to unzip and test a few gigs of material so I can back everything up to another drive. I want it all saved before this old girl blows, lol.

There are many choices available, so it is difficult to decide on a new computer.

Do you know of any reputable local shops in your area that offer custom built computers? I have found those are sometimes the most cost effective.

As for commercially available computers, I have had very good luck with Dell, HP/Compaq, and Gateway.

My five oldest computers still being used (8 to 10 years old) are HP and Compaq. (edited because I had forgot to include my Dell laptop (9 years old) and Compaq laptop (8 years old)).
    Last edited by Soquili; 27 September 2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Whew! You have some oldies there. You must not be very hard on your equipment. Well, most of my computers have been replaced only because they were not powerful enough or updated enough to browse the net properly or handle the newest game I bought. I give them to family members who wear them out.

I've only had 2 Gateways and my current Dell. I've been lucky that they've all been great computers and the last Gateway is still being used by my in-laws...with W98 on it.

We have a Tiger Direct store near us but I've never been inside. I think I'll take a wander over there and see what they have to offer. I'd kind of like to build my own. Would be a fun project and satisfying if all works out well. I'll make a point of hanging onto to my processors and mem cards, lol.

I've done very well with Velocity Micro over the last few years.

Micro Velocity, I have never heard of them. How's customer service?

Velocity Micro. On the few occasions in which we've needed customer service, they've been excellent.