Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Menu buttons with text only MouseOver

This is my issue

I want to make a nav bar with just text, all good so far but I also want to change the text colour on mouse over.

I have made a nav bar ok using a couple of graphics and a text box then used "create navigation bar" But I cannot get it to make bar with the text changing colour. If I make a text box with MouseOver text in the right color When I group it as required the whole lot takes on the layer. If I leave the Mouseover layer un grouped it get left out of the nav bar.

What do I do?

lastly I want to replicate this in a nav bar, specifically the Blue box. The issue is that get the spacing right I need to make a graphic box. So if I make the blue section to the back of the menu the boxs shows through

Help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menu.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	74349  
    Attached Files Attached Files

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: Menu buttons with text only MouseOver

Firstly. What you should be doing is grouping each layer separately and then soft grouping the two layers. This groups things on more than one layer and leaves them on their original layers. You can do that by selecting the items on both layers and then pressing Ctrl+Alt+G to apply soft group and Ctrl+Alt+U to remove a soft group.

Of course another way of doing without converting your text to graphics this is to just put your text on the MouseOff layer and then apply a link to it. Then to get it to change colors you can go to the Website tab of the Web Properties Dialog and at the bottom you can set your Link colors for your website.

For your second issue, draw the box on both layers and on the MouseOff layer either color it the same color as the background or give your box a 99.5% transparency.

Let us know how you get on.

Eric
    Last edited by bcire68; 15 July 2010 at 07:48 AM.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Thanks for the reply

The problem I am is having is unless you Group all the elements (not soft group) The nav bar generation will not start.

If you Group them then the Group takes on the current layer and the mouse over does not work.

I managed to deconstruct an existing nav bar element then rebuild it into my own requirements.

I think the trick is to group what ever it is you have on the one layer even if its one text box to prevent it picking up the layer of the over all grouping.

Now the Graphic element at the end to do

Just to point out the Graphic element is fixed on the menu item its not the method used to show what page you are on.

Now it seems all my attempts to make menus work are useless

This is getting very frustrating

Is there any tutorial any were that will explain it clearly?

I have the book I read the forum I read the help but what ever I do is not working.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Tim,

This is my method and there may be others but in XWD6, this is what I do...

On the MouseOff layer:
    Draw a rectangle and color it.
    Write some text and Center justify it and color it.
    Drag select both the rectangle and the text and press Ctrl+Shift+L and center them.
    Press Crtl+G to group the items on the MouseOff layer.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy the group.

Change to the MouseOver layer and make it visible if it wasn't already.
    Press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste in place
    Hold down the shift key and hit the right arrow a few times to move the MouseOver group away from the MouseOff group.
    Press Ctrl+U to ungroup the text and rectangle on the MouseOver layer
    Make the changes that you want for your MouseOver button.
    Drag select both the rectangle and the text on the MouseOver layer#
    Press Crtl+G to group them
    Hold down the Shift key and press the Left arrow a few times to move the MouseOver group back over the MouseOff group
    Drag select both groups and press Ctrl+Alt+G to soft group them.
    And then with only that one button selected create your navbar.
    Add as many buttons as you want and apply the links that you want to them, etc.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.