Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xdp6 Design Element Repository

Everyone here makes some beautiful design elements and it would be wonderful to have a place where people could upload those elements and where others could go to find a specific element to use in a project. There are pages for brushes and plug ins, why not a design element repository? If someone designs buttons, they could be uploaded there. What about panels, arrows, various graphics, icons, and fun elements too. I think you get the idea of what I'm asking.

What do you think?

Default Re: Design Element Repository

There's www.openclipart.org, which recently "even" has implemented thumbnails for the search ;-), so it has actually become slightly useful. However, they offer their graphics in a completely non-standard* vector format (SVG) which Xara can't import.

*: Yes, I know it's a W3C standard and all, that doesn't change the fact though that no program on earth recognizes it.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

xdp6 Re: Design Element Repository

If Xara cannot import it, then what's the point. I'm talking about Xara designed elements anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    that doesn't change the fact though that no program on earth recognizes it.
    does inkscape? [seeing as how SVG is its native format, and inkscape is free]

if so export as pdf and then import into xtreme/designer
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I would love to have a resource such as this, as it is now, the clipart gallery is available but it is too general in nature. It would be great to be able to have very specific libraries of things like body parts or car parts, machine parts, etc., with a variety of possible interchangeable vectors to build very specific unique assemblies without having to spend an inordinate amount of time creating the vectors on your own. In addition, library vectors could be much more detailed than what you would have the time to create on your own.
    This would probably be a good selling point for increasing the usage of the Xara products to the general public who could assemble their final product without having to design each individual component but still have the flexibility to modify the final product.

Sounds like PixelPusher is really looking for another sectoin on the forums for "design elements" as opposed to a new feature in the program itself.

It's true that these things seem to get smattered around - a thread (or 10) for "templates", fifteen different "button groups" or icon groups. So many threads to read through just to find a good basic button.

I imagine this is the line of thought, anyway. I generally do everything from scratch, but I can see why people would want something like an online library of pieces and parts.

Either way, you can just put your stuff in a xar file and export it to a folder hierarchy (whether in a forum or on your hard drive) and use those elements. Drag and drop from Explorer into your Xara app.

Many members have for years supplied their .xar and .web files freely to show how they have approached the creation of their graphic or simply out of courtesy for the interest of other TG members. It's a great way to learn new techniques.
    But would be very careful about using other peoples creations in the assembly of your own final output.
    Collecting such resources from TG posts for your own end results which you may intend for print or web is likely to ruffle a few feathers.

Certainly it's possible the the original creator would be only too happy for you to use their work in your own way, but you really need to contact them first and get their permission for this.

As you know, the web is full of excellent and free vector and bitmap clipart resources..

Perhaps Rick can create his own designs repository to share with TG

Wow Steve, not sure to take that as a slam or what, but I am not asking for free design elements, just that things are so scattered around here that it would be great to have something similar to the Brushes category. Of course I would never use anything without someone's consent/permission, but I would figure that if it were posted here, it would be OK by the poster. I'm not as skilled as many on this forum but I have learned a ton from those willing to share.

Not mean't as a slam at all, it was actually a response to Scott's post.

Brushes (or tips'n'tricks) are somewhat different aren't they? You have to actually draw something yourself with a brush (or make personal creative use of a tip).

Yes I know using the vBulletin search is a pita but the Google Custom search is much better (and why it was added) but as I think Scott so of suggest, you can easily compile your own personal repository of threads and posts in your browser bookmarks manager (for example).

Thumbs up Re: Design Element Repository

Gotcha Steve. I was hoping that you and I were still friends, after all, a lot of the things that I have learned about these Xara products I have learned from you, so therefore, I would never want to cross you.