Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Some Adobe CS5 features that I'd love to see in a future Xara

Based on this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfkjHnsAsvg--this guy is very good), some of the new PS CS5 features are very time saving. However, all in principle are completely doable in Xara/vector software.

My main reason for this post is because I think the new iterative content search algorithm associated with their ‘content aware’ options for filling in gaps/retouching is a really important technological feature that dropped out of academia recently (which Adobe then snapped up) that I predict will make an appearance in future ‘photo feature’ updates to Xara (in 1 or 2 years). Just as traditional content aware scaling of photos was considered important and appeared soon after in Xara, this is bound to too, given its sheer power.

Also, PS's clever, efficient photo content/edge detection when making selections inside photos (e.g. of hair as well as bulk) is a sorely absent photo feature in Xara in my opinion (expanded here in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIcQ1nXkWk). I can see Mask mode and other appropriate selection tools being used to achieve complex selections in photos in Xara in the future.

Their puppet motion is essentially just an advanced mould tool on an object (but very nice--and the mould tool would benefit from an upgrade eventually).

Their photo noise reduction features seem to work really well, and I've come across situations where that would be really useful.

HDR seems less of a priority to me, but still very doable in principle in Xara.

As for new AI CS5 features (some demoed in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXJY0a8NiU), while AI’s new perspective mode could be time saving, what I think would be particularly welcome in Xara is the ability to edit line widths at will (from 2:47 in video, expanded on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhk4ku0c74). In principle, that’s mostly doable using a pressure sensitive tablet, but you can’t flexibly edit line width (asymmetrically) post-drawing yet in Xara.

Default Re: Some Adobe CS5 features that I'd love to see in a future Xara

You should post it in the dear Xara forum.
    John.

Yeah, I was teetering doing that, but I checked the post guidance points for safety and felt it violated some of them (too many different requests in one post, not concise, etc.), so decided to just put it here as an open thought for discussion instead. Feel free to move it there if you think it's better suited.

Hi Chris.

All I can say is that I'm glad that I went and viewed the video before this thread got moved.

The features demonstrated in the video are just AWESOME!

Dear Xara - if Xara had those photo tools?!!!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I think Xara has gone too far into Bitmaps and has gotten away from Vectors.

Trying to be all things to all people is what has ruined Corel and Adobe vector applications.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Awesome functionality, would love to see some of this in future versions of Xara. Easy object extraction with hair etc. would be really useful.

Just remember the price differential between cs5 and xdp6 - it is huge. I would not want to see xara going the same bloated way

I would not want Xara to become another Photoshop Wannabe.

The innovative vector application that was seems to be determined to become just another bitmap editor.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I agree, there's enough pixel-pushers out there but very few alternatives to Illustrator.

JimR

That Puppet warp tool! OMG !!
    At a stroke, that gives a Designer the ability to create slight variations in a concept, without spending hours tweaking nodes.
    If that feature was available for Xara for both vector and bitmap ..