Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: On the verge of a new camera purchase but...

Quote Originally Posted by GroWeb View Post
    It would surprise me if Pentax lenses come hoodless.
    All PENTAX and SIGMA lenses I have purchased come with a plain or petal hood.
    IP

Glen - In my research on lens hoods for the two lenses I've discovered that the DA L 18-55mm lens takes a 52mm PH-RBA petal style hood while the DA L 55-300mm lens should be fitted with a 58mm PH-RBG conical hood. The hood configurations coincide exactly with what you stated. That DIY lens hood site link that you posted intrigues me. I might give making my own a try to see if I can make one to last for awhile and to find out how it performs. It can't hurt and the price is right!

Steve - From what I can tell, if the lenses are purchased separately they come with front & rear lens covers, a hood, and a soft case. The ones in the kits also come with front and rear lens covers but, unfortunately, don't seem to include the lens hoods or the soft cases.
    IP

Might be different in your part of the world I suppose. But that is not the case here. CR Kennedy (the import and distro for PENTAX Australasia) supply all DA lenses (even as a body+lens kit) with a hood. I'm surprised that kit's don't include them there?
    Also worth mentioning, that many of the PENTAX body+Lens kit's are supplied with SIGMA lenses here, but they are also inclusive of a lens hood.

Soft lens case? What's that for?
    IP

Hi HayTay
    Have you checked out the samsung nx10? A more compact. Not a dslr, but it does have an electronic viewfinder and manual focusing, etc. It also has interchangeable lenses. Just an idea.
    IP

Thanks for the tip Sylvan, but it's too late. I just received my new Pentax K-x camera outfit two days ago. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it effectively and to my advantage. So far I've taken a few dozen photos and they all could benefit by a vast improvement in the skills of the guy controlling the shutter release! I must work on getting better at focusing manually and setting the exposure correctly (or at least better). Once I manage to get a picture that doesn't have to be heavily post-processed I'll post it.

I can't get much worse,
    Harry
    IP

Good to hear Harry,

Yes no point in setting the camera to Auto everything - a P'n'S can do that.
    Make LOT'S of mistakes and study the EXIF.
    If the K-x is anything like the PENTAX dslr's I own, you can use the on/of switch pushed 'one step clockwise' to see a TTL view of the closed aperture. That way you will get a bit of an idea if it's going to be under or over exposed (not entirely, but it's a small measure of help at first)
    IP