Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question On the verge of a new camera purchase but...

Alright, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to splurge and purchase a Pentax K-x DSLR camera bundle that includes both the DA L 18-55mm and DA L 55-300mm lenses. From what I've read the camera has received great reviews with regard to value, quality, features and ease of use. I've actually downloaded, printed, and read the entire users manual in preparation for my impending purchase. It seems that the camera has more features and functions than I'll be able figure out, and use, in my lifetime. It'll definitely be a step up from borrowing and using my daughter's point-and-shoot digital camera.

So, my question is, beyond memory cards and batteries, are there any other accessories (without going overboard) that I should consider purchasing along with the camera? Books, carrying cases, filters, cleaning kits, tripods, remote controls, flashes, the list and the drain on my wallet seems to go on, and on. I've never owned a 'semi-professional' SLR camera and am looking to maximize my enjoyment and minimize my learning curve with my new 'toy/tool'. I'd appreciate any advice from all of the camera bugs here on TalkGraphics, so please tell me what you would recommend, and why.

Thanks for helping me out,
    Harry
    IP

Default Re: On the verge of a new camera purchase but...

Great choice Harry. As you probably recall, I have the PENTAX *istDS since 2004 and the PENTAX K-7 since last December.

My advice is to buy nothing else yet, take it with you whenever you go out - and use it often.
    I made what turned out to be a mistake in buying a LowePro carry case for the *istDS to serve and protect my purchase. I had space for the camera body with lens fitted, another lens, cards, batteries and so on. And guess what? I rarely took it out of the bag. (You'll likely hear the same thing from lot's of others too at www.talkphotography.co.uk and http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums).

I did buy a Velbon Sherpa tripod as initially my photos were all blurry, however though a tripod is great and necessary in some conditions, I just got better at keeping steady and setting the camera correctly

Filters? Well, I have a skylight and polarizing filter, but they only fit one lens which now is no longer the lens I use most (a prime)

You can't know what you'll want/need in 3/6/12 months time - so buy accessories as and when you need them.

Look forward to seeing some K-x shots (and video clips)
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 July 2010 at 12:19 AM.
    IP

Harry a skylight and/or polarizing filter is good to protect the lens from dust and scratches. Much cheaper to replace a filter than a lens.

When I was very much into photography and carrying around 3 to 4 cameras it was not unusual to find a scratch on a filter occasionally.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thumbs up Re: On the verge of a new camera purchase but...

Thanks for the tips, so far, guys. That's the type of info I'm looking for. Filters sound like a good idea, Bill. A $40 US filter is a lot easier to replace than a $400 US lens. I'll have to do a little research on filters to see what the difference is between the different types. I may purchase one of each if they'll fit both lenses, then once I figure out how they affect the shot I can swap them between the two lenses if necessary.

Great links Steve, although I think the TalkPhotography link should be www.talkphotography.co.uk. I spent a lot of time last night lurking and reading on both of the sites. Good stuff! To quote Johnny 5, "More input!"

Lots to read up on and research this weekend,
    Harry
    IP

I agree with steve. Keep the kit down to the minimum to start with. Taking photographs is how you end up with photographs you are proud of, not the amount of equipment you're lugging around.
    I've not used one, but from what I've read its a good choice of camera though.
    Derek
    IP

It has been a long time since I have posted here on TG, partly because I have been spending a lot of time on photography. However, my recent purchase of XDP6 has re-awakened my interest in this great forum.

I would very much agree with Steve's recommendations above. With regard to Bill's point about using UV or other clear filters to protect your lenses' front elements, this is a hotly disputed topic in DSLR land. The problem some photographers identify is that a clear filter can, under certain conditions, cause veiling glare that will affect the quality of your photos. However, lots of people say this has not been a problem for them. The best recommendation I could make would be to remain aware of the possibility of glare, and see for yourself if it is a problem. In conditions where the lens' front element has a high probability of getting scratched, such as a windy beach, a filter is definitely a valuable commodity. For general lens protection, it is also a good idea to keep the hood on your lens when in use (this will protect the front element from colliding with things, and will also reduce glare and flare in your photos), and put on the lens cap when not using the lens.

There is a book that is universallly recommended reading for beginning photographers, called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. In addition, it can be very helpful to spend time on internet photography forums, such as the ones Steve pointed out, where more experienced photographers can provide insight and guidance. And most of all, have fun! DSLR photography is a whole new world compared to using a point-and-shoot.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.
    IP

Derek - Point 'taken'. I'll take your, and what seems to be everyone's advise, and adhere to the KISS principle. One thing I don't need is more junk that I won't use, I've already got enough stuff sitting around collecting dust and taking up space. That's one of the reasons why I started this thread.

Glen - Wow!, it has been a long time since you've posted anything here on TG. Thanks for piping up and offering your advise and experience in answering my query. I take it from your response that a lens hood would be a better investment than a filter unless one is using the camera in a harsh environment. I'll take a look at those as well as filters. The knowledge I gain will come in handy at some point.

As to the book recommendation, I'll check in with the local library on Monday to see if they have, or can get, a copy of Understanding Exposure so I can give it a read while waiting for my camera outfit to arrive. I've got a library card and I'm not afraid to use it.

Off to see what else I discover,
    Harry
    IP

ug.. Sorry about the misnamed TP link.. I should know it, I visit there every day

Yes, a hood (petal or plain hood) is essential when pointing near sun and hard reflections, they are normally supplied with most good lenses now. A lens cap is a must when the lens is not in use or even between shoots when it's still on the camera..
    The petal hoods are easily kept on the lens and take up very little extra storage space if you reverse hood.

Name:  reversed-hood.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  8.5 KB

Getting out and taking lots of photos is better that any book imho.
    I can't relate as well to books, but I can learn from my own mistakes and triumphs.
    Study the EXIF data of the photos that please you most to see what worked best in the given conditions.
    Then....try to remember that

I also would recommend you shoot RAW and learn how to develop your shots in something like Lightroom or the freebie RAWTherapee.

There's also a fantastic free shell extension called InstantJPGfromRAW which is a must have.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert or pro, just an enthusiatic wannabe who loves digital cameras
    IP

Thanks for the extra info Steve. I've taken your advice and downloaded both RAW Therapee and Instant JPEG from RAW so I can get a feel for the applications. I had watched the IJPR demo video just recently. Maybe from one of your other posts?

The messed up link wasn't a problem, that's why there's Google .

Good tips on the lens hood, they're not cheap but they're a whole lot less than replacing a lens. That makes them worth it in my book. I'll be adding one for each lens to my order.

Books, I like 'em though they're definitely not a replacement for a lot of hands-on experience. I find that books and manuals provide you with a quick 'exposure' to terms and concepts that will, usually, get you up and running quicker. While I don't remember everything I read, I remember I read something about it somewhere and can go back as many times as necessary to refresh my memory.

I'm starting to get a little antsy but I'm still a little short on funds for the K-x plus accessories.

All in good time,
    Harry
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Good tips on the lens hood, they're not cheap but they're a whole lot less than replacing a lens. That makes them worth it in my book. I'll be adding one for each lens to my order.
    Hi Harry;

I'm a Nikon shooter and don't know if this might be different with Pentax, but every lens I own, whether manufactured by Nikon, Sigma, or Tamron -- except for a 50mm whose front element is so deeply inset that it is well protected from collisions and glare anyway -- came with a hood included. It would surprise me if Pentax lenses come hoodless. However, if your lenses do come without hoods and you need to purchase them separately, be sure you get hoods that are suitable for the lenses (Pentax will have appropriate hoods available for each lens; but if you can find out the specs, third party manufacturers will likely have less expensive alternatives). A wide angle lens (your 18-55) generally needs a relatively shallow, flower petal-shaped hood, while a telephoto (your 55-300) generally needs a deeper, cylindrical, slightly cone-shaped hood.

For the ultimate in affordable lens hoods, you could also try making them from printable templates, which can be downloaded from here: http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/. I don't know how handy you are with DIY projects, but it might be possible to make your own hood from material stiff enough to afford appropriate protection for your lenses. At the very least, these templates will give you the info you need about the hoods' dimensions to guide you in finding affordable third-party alternatives.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.
    IP