Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: Quickdraw McGraw and Baba Louie

I have to agree with you on that one, Steve. Last night when I was working on this drawing, I used my TV as a monitor and sat on the sofa with the tablet on the arm of the sofa. The only time I looked at my tablet was to press the set function keys on it.

Also thank you very much for the cartooning tips. That is a very interesting way of thinking about things. I will have to digest that and play around with it. It will also help me to analyze the cartoons that I'm working on a bit more. Damn, work is boring today...I wanna go draw.
    Last edited by bcire68; 08 July 2010 at 02:39 PM.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Your cartoon drawings look great. I have a question on the tablets, I bought a Wacom, Bamboo Fun tablet a couple of years ago and haven't really used it. I guess you might say I'm afraid of it Is it a good tablet for using with Xara? What kind of tablet do you use?

Merv

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Merv,

I have a Wacom Intuos 4 medium tablet. This is the very first tablet that I have ever used. I've had it since tuesday.

I think that with the new pressure sensitivity enhancements in XDP6, I think that using a tablet with Xara products is great. I've really enjoied using the tablet so far. There is no harm in tryit it out, espically if you already have a tablet.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

mine's a wacom graphire 3 - I've had it 7 years or so

a bamboo should be fine - other member use them, they have been mentioned...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you, I'll hook it up and give it a try.

Merv

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    I am using an existing drawing on a locked layer in XPD6 and then using the tablet to draw over the top, much like some of the pro cartoonists here do with their own hand-drawn and scanned sketches.
    That makes more sense than what I was envisioning you were doing. Thanks for the information. After reading your other threads on the subject it appears you're growing more comfortable with the graphics tablet. Your apparent success with using the tablet may ultimately convince me to purchase one so I can try my hand using a more natural sketching method.

Good stuff,
    Harry

I am getting more and more comfortable working with the tablet. I never thought that I would be this comfortable with it this quickly. I am going to be moving further and further away from tracing and getting closer to sketching over the top. I can already see the change starting to happen. I am already less concerned with getting a line directly over the top of the existing line and just concentrating on getting the general shape right. All of that learning and having fun while I'm doing it. Who would have thought a piece of technology (one that I always thought was beyond me) could make such a chnge in my drawing?

Continuing that thought it now seems silly to think that a tablet is beyond me any more than a pencil is beyond me. But because I can't draw with a pencil, I didn't think that a tablet was for me. I could just as easily do this tracing thing, learning what I am learning, with pencil and paper. Though, I have to say that the technology does make things easier. Being able to adjust a line after you have drawn it (without having to use an eraser) is nice.

Just a thought...

Eric
    My Club. My Album.

glad you are enjoying it

I see you have already grasped a core principle here - you redraw every time using the lower layer[s] as a guide

even if a line you need to carry up is exactly the same - redraw it - tracing is fine for technical drawing and 'realistic' illustration, but it's not usually what you want for fluid cartooning...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...