Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Quickdraw McGraw and Baba Louie

Here is my latest in the HB cartoons series. Weren't they always hunting for El Kabong or something like that? I can't remember anymore. I did this with the new tablet too. My hand is hurting less the more I get used to using the pen. Let me know what you think.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quickdraw McGraw and Baba Louie.png 
Views:	4895 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	74070  
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Default Re: Quickdraw McGraw and Baba Louie

Man, these are great. They bring back so many memories raising our kids and watching these shows together Ah man, I think I'm going to cry

Merv

Another excellent tribute to Hanna-Barbera. Are you drawing these freehand on the tablet, Eric, or are you using some kind of reference adhered to the tablet surface?

Inquiring minds and all that,
    Harry

Excellent Eric.

Quickdraw was the secret identity of El Kabong, like Clark Kent and Superman.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Most excellent. Now you've got the whole gang.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I am using an existing drawing on a locked layer in XPD6 and then using the tablet to draw over the top, much like some of the pro cartoonists here do with their own hand-drawn and scanned sketches.

I wish I had the talent or skill to draw these freehand. I view this as practice towards learning the freehand skill. For example I have already learned that what looks like a complicated drawing is really just a bunch of small curved lines that represent something when taken together. That doesn't mean that I could go out an start drawing cartoons on my own (yet) but just that realization is a big step for someone like me who is untrained in art. It also leads me to believe that with enough practice, I could actually create some of my own stuff. Also I have already noticed a change in my drawing. For some of the smaller strokes, I am creating them with small quick strokes of the pen as opposed to a slow manual trace. This is progress, I think.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

you could try starting to break these down into their two main cartooning elements Eric:

lines of action
    block shapes

see the attachment

for me line of action comes first, then block shapes, then more detail in as many stages as necessary, and then the final drawing

at each stage it is a process of refinement - each stage is redrawn on top of the other [if not done digitally this invloves colored pencils and light box]

so you can practice these stages through to final, without relying on having the image underneath once you get the hang of it

make as many rough sketches as you need, everyone does this

darwing a stroke is a bit like riding a bike, yes - go too slow you wobble, maybe even fall off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QDM'D.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	74087  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve I can't get that to work for me when drawing a cartoon! I've tried it cos that is how I draw but using a pencil. I find it far easier to work in pencil scan and import but might trace after the pencil sketch with a pen and then import. What really I am trying to say is I am hopeless using a tablet.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I love the post that you have been doing of the old-time cartoons. This comes from the days when cartoons were fun and you had to use your imagination. Great job on re-creation. Excellent work.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore;370960...
    I am hopeless using a tablet...
    so was I when I started - I think its common, unless maybe, you have one of those fancy screen tablet that Zeb uses to such great effect

if I can stretch my earlier analogy - its not actually necessary to look at the tablet whilst you are drawing, any more than it is to look at the ground whilst you walk[or ride bike] - as long as you can see where the line is going all is fine, you just need to get used to it

well it works for me - needed a few months practice, I'll admit
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...