Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tracking Code Problem - Statcounter

This is a wrinkle that seems unique to XDP6 which I'm taking on a test drive at the moment doing up a small website.

As per usual I added my Statcounter tracking code into the appropriate spot just as I did many times with XXP5 and which worked flawlessly.

So I added the code in and found that I'm not getting my tracking details. Contacted Statcounter who looked at the page and the only thing they could suggest was to move the statcounter code above a line that says
    "<!--[if lt IE 7]><script type="text/javascript" src="artiles_html_files/png.js"></script><![endif]-->"

I can't see a way to accomplish that unless I manually edit the HTML in a text editor every time I re-save a page.

Any thoughts or suggestions from all the great minds hereabouts??

Thanks
    Paul
    Paul J
    "If it was easy ... everyone would be doing it!
    http://www.tactical-graphic-design.com

Default Re: Tracking Code Problem - Statcounter

Thread moved out of the 'Site Design and Publishing (non-Xara') forum to the 'Web Designer / Xtreme / Designer Pro' forum.

I used Statcounter on one of my sites created with DP6 with the code placed in the 'Replace with HTML code' placeholder.
    Tracking works fine.

Based on this thread, I added Statcounter to several of my sites using WD6. I discovered that if I added their code to the placeholder of any existing element already on the page, that element would not render. So I created a tiny rectangle with the background color of my page, line size=none, (rendering it invisible) and pasted the Statcounter code in its placeholder.

Seems to work fine. I checked the counter stats and they appear valid.

Thanks for that. Haven't used WD6. In XXP5 and in XDP6 I've been using the built-in area under the website/webpage properties for inserting tracking code.

Worked great in XXP5 ... not so in XDP6. Even StatCounter's tech's suggestion didn't work. Weird thing is that I'm seeing (in StatCounter) the accumulation of page loads ... but not getting the detailed stats I need.

I've told them their "fix" didn't do it and that the same line they thought was offending existed in HTML generated by XXP5 and those sites work fine with StatCounter.

Cheers & thanks
    Paul
    Paul J

Quote Originally Posted by hardot View Post
    I discovered that if I added their code to the placeholder of any existing element already on the page, that element would not render.
    No of course not, because you have told the html export filter that this object is a placeholder for the code you have entered in the 'Placeholder' properties. Therefore the filter ignores the object and replaces it with the html code.
    This is exactly how it is designed to work

Quote Originally Posted by taccom View Post
    Thanks for that. Haven't used WD6. In XXP5 and in XDP6 I've been using the built-in area under the website/webpage properties for inserting tracking code.

Worked great in XXP5 ... not so in XDP6. Even StatCounter's tech's suggestion didn't work. Weird thing is that I'm seeing (in StatCounter) the accumulation of page loads ... but not getting the detailed stats I need.

I've told them their "fix" didn't do it and that the same line they thought was offending existed in HTML generated by XXP5 and those sites work fine with StatCounter.

Cheers & thanks
    Paul

I will tell you what I can say from my own experience with tracking severals sites with StatsCounter now: When I did use the code which was generated by the browser (means in the configuration) it did not work! Only the code which StatsCounter did send by email to me did work.

I did generate my pages with Xtreme or WD6 an then opened the html-files with editor an did integrade code. Of course this is manualy and uncomfortable buut did work. Test if your code from browser and the code via email are different.

TomTom

Quote Originally Posted by taccom View Post
    Weird thing is that I'm seeing (in StatCounter) the accumulation of page loads ... but not getting the detailed stats I need.

Cheers & thanks
    Paul
    im having the same problem no detailed stats just the page loads
    http://naturalessex.co.uk/

Hi TomTom

Thanks for the post ... unfortunately it didn't make a change in the situation. StatCounter is trying to figure it out but so far no success. I suggested their techies contact Xara techies and put heads together because it isn't a small issue for those of us designing performance oriented websites.

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue Dreamer ... but at least I know now it isn't just me!

I'm going to submit a ticket to Xara Support ... since I'm using the trial version they may not reply.

I love the new features in XDP6 ... but this situation is a deal-breaker that would have me sticking with XXP5!

Cheers
    Paul
    Paul J

WD6 Re: Tracking Code Problem - Statcounter

Funny how these things cause problems for some and not for others.

I use Statcounter. And it works fine, full stats and so on.

What I did was the following.

I set up the counter on the Statcounter site.
    I copied the resulting code.
    In XWD6 I selected 'Paste placeholder html'

After a couple of seconds thinking, it produced the actual counter on the page.
    I then dragged it to where it was needed.
    That's it.

Hi Staggers

Thanks for taking time to reply. My Statcounter code works fine in my copy of web designer and Xtreme Pro 5 ... its just the new XDP 6 that seems to conflict with Statcounter's code ... techs at Statcounter are buffaloed on this one.
    Paul J