Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This was a suggestion by me on another thread to prioritize what we'd like to see in a new version of Xara X, and list these.

I will start this thread with my own newbie observations about Xara X, and what I'd like to see.

1) My primary concern has been with using layers. As a Photoshop user, I would like to see objects named and listed on their own layers, whether using the Names Gallery or the Layers Gallery to do this. I just want it to be more organized, and possible to keep track of all the objects, and their respective layers.

2) I would like to see the program debugged to avoid crashes while using brushes, blends, etc. For example, I have had two drawings open, and have tried using a bitmap image from one drawing, as a fill in the other, with a resultant crash. Either make it impossible to do this, or make it not crash the app.

3) I'd like to see exporting of files that are more compatible with major apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., with full and compatible color information, especially CMYK. And better exporting of jpegs and gifs for the web, with more choices of dithering methods for gifs.

Those are my priorities, and I would be happy as a clam if a new version included only those features. (At least until I am more experienced using Xara X.)

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

This was a suggestion by me on another thread to prioritize what we'd like to see in a new version of Xara X, and list these.

I will start this thread with my own newbie observations about Xara X, and what I'd like to see.

1) My primary concern has been with using layers. As a Photoshop user, I would like to see objects named and listed on their own layers, whether using the Names Gallery or the Layers Gallery to do this. I just want it to be more organized, and possible to keep track of all the objects, and their respective layers.

2) I would like to see the program debugged to avoid crashes while using brushes, blends, etc. For example, I have had two drawings open, and have tried using a bitmap image from one drawing, as a fill in the other, with a resultant crash. Either make it impossible to do this, or make it not crash the app.

3) I'd like to see exporting of files that are more compatible with major apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., with full and compatible color information, especially CMYK. And better exporting of jpegs and gifs for the web, with more choices of dithering methods for gifs.

Those are my priorities, and I would be happy as a clam if a new version included only those features. (At least until I am more experienced using Xara X.)

http://www.eyesitewebdesign.com/dale.gif

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I agree about making it more stable [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]... but if not at least have a polite message like windowsXP ... "we're sorry but ...etc " [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

1> ...I don't know ... maybe one thing could be the ability to select nodes and rotate them as a group. This is one cool node editing feature in Expression 2 which has been useful for my ink sketch ideas.

2> ...the ability to have the vector line (not those brushes but the line) more adjustable or even change thickness according to pen pressure (like Expression 2 vector lines). Or adjust the thickness around nodes with little pull handle thingies. The line would flow in thickness between these nodes according to how they are adjusted.

3> ... the knife tool and the push tool in Canvs8 are awesome vector editing tools. The push tool lets you just push the edge of the shape like it was a piece of string lying on a desktop. Adjust the radius of effect too. Very cool

Gee can't think of much else really.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

I would like to see mathematical curves in the next Xara. These are quite beautiful and not easy to draw with the usual tools: spirals, arcs, helixes, cissoids, cycloids, cog wheels and eventually even a formula function.

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...ine=1019851685

1. For me most important: better export and color handling
    2. (close second) Extended layer support (I'm used to layers in Photoshop) Drag and drop would be nice and more ways to organize objects AND layers.
    3. Fine-tuning the application and removing bugs or incompatibilities with major applications, hard- or software

Sorry Dale, that I have the same list [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I really really want DXF import/export. As a simple no-frills vector-based open standard for transfering vectors between programs it should not be hard to program.

A couple of days ago I tried to import some lines from autocad. Using wmf (via cut & paste) I could get the lines in but then ungrouping them took forever (like ten minutes!). The 30,000 lines were too much for Xara X. Are there limits on Xara that could be increased?

I'd also like to be able to 'suspend' computationally complex operations that are taking too much time. Give us a functional "Esc" button and Xarans will be less inclined to interpret slowdowns as crashes.

My postscript output from Xara can be less than perfect. Any attention to enhanced postscript support would be appreciated.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross: "Give us a functional "Esc" button..."

Oh no, not that! Programmers HATE the idea of giving users such a dangerous, newfangled tool! It is not an idea which has stood the test of time yet, it needs to be tested with yet another 14 billion lines of C++ code!

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Your sarcasm is funny.

Why isn't something so basic there already? Probably because in the early days of the program it wasn't needed much. It is needed now that we can do 900-step blends-on-curves of bitmap-filled beveled/shadowed objects. Even more modest processes could benefit from an escape.

Hand-in-hand with the esc key should be a hourglass or %indicator to annunciate that something is actually happening. I'm convinced that many things which users report as lock-ups are actually just slow processes that if left to complete would eventually do so. Without annunciation these processes get the ctrl-alt-delete treatment and curses.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross: "hourglass or %indicator"

OH NO, NOT THOSE! THEY EAT UP CPU CYCLES AND WOULD INCREASE THE DOWNLOAD SIZE BY 23kB!

;-)

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")