Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where do the web files live prior to conversion to html?

Where do the files live prior to conversion to html?

I know where the html files live, they are exported to a directory of my choice when I publish.

I ask this in case I wish to transfer the files to another computer without starting again from scratch. Presumably it is the pre-conversion files I need to find.

Also, I am giving up on Web Designer 6 and switching over to the new Designer 6. Before doing so, I would like be sure I know how to make the transition without losing my webfiles.

I used to use FrontPage and I knew where everything lived. The thing that is confusing me with Xara is that I work on the site as if it were a desktop publisher, I then publish and it exports the files. When I am working on my site prior to publishing, where are the files? Or are there only html files?

If it is the latter, does this mean I can get everything back just by going to the html files?

Can someone explain what is going on here?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Gaskell; 05 July 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Default Re: Where do the web files live prior to conversion to html?

Your *.web files are saved to a location on your hard drive of your choosing Ken.
    When you press 'Save' for the first time I believe the default folder would be My Documents.
    However if you previously saved a *.web file to another location, the dialogue may open with the last location first.

Note that embedded flash or gif animation, linked PDF or other docs are not self-contained inside the *.web file, these resources are saved to a folder in the same location as the *.web file to which they belong and will share the same name as the *.web file.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gaskell View Post
    Or are there only html files?
    If it is the latter, does this mean I can get everything back just by going to the html files?
    Because Web Designer or Designer Pro are not HTML editors, you cannot import previously exported HTML.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 05 July 2010 at 12:52 AM.

Yeah, everything is contained with the Xara file you save, noithing is separated out and no HTML files are generated, until you publish it as a website. So the only thing you need to cart around with you is the .web or .xar file for the website, plus any embedded videos or flash stuff. i.e. Anything that requires a placeholder instead of the actual file.

Thanks for you help.

Ken

Does all this mean that having moved to a new computer, I have to rebuild my website from scratch?

If I do, what happens when I upload it to the files that are already there?

Surely, there must be something I can do to manage my existing website stuff from my new computer without having to start again.

Can anyone help tell me the best way forward?

Ken

You don't have to start again. Just copy over the xara .web files and any resource folders/files. You can then continue making changes and uploading updates as if you were still using the old computer.

Thanks. I did that. I tried selecting open and then the index file. It just tipped the contents of the site into a heap on the page. Having copied the folders across. How do I go about opening it up again? Can you tell me the steps I need to take?

Ken

Select the .web file :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Sorry if you think I am a fool. On my old computer I have no problem. Prior to this I have created a site and simply opened it using recent files.
    I go to recent files and select the file, which as you say, ends .web

However, if I don't use the recent files option, I don't know how to open the website using open because search in the folders as I might, nowhere does it have a file ending .web

I have been in the folder called index_htm_files and they are mainly the pictures and banners etc. Nowhere in that folder does it have a file ending .web

The main folder contains the names of all the pages. None end with .web Clicking index achieves nothing.

I am sure it is quite simple, but this old fool has tried everything and failed.

On my new computer, with no recent files to open, I don't know to access it. I have tried clicking on the html file called index but that just succeeds in emptying its contents in a pile.

Any constructive help would be appreciated.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Gaskell; 17 October 2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: error

I don't think you're a fool! No more than I am at any rate You must have saved your .web locally when you made the site. Find it and copy it across.

PS You could do a computer wide search for it
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64