Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Vector sheild too big

I have found that between the time I created my spinning logo a few weeks ago and now, I seemed to have missed something because the vector shape I've exported to Xara 3D is huge. Even though I started off in Xara Extreme with a very small graphic and exported it at 100dpi instead of the direction that said 300dpi it always seems to be oversized when I use paste and there's no way to manipulate the shapes size once its in Xara 3D.

Would somebody be good enough to tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can right it down and refer to it in futer.

Thanks.
    Fabian

Default Re: Vector sheild too big

Hi

the vector shape does not have dpi - that can be resized in xara3d by using the 'font size' box - this is on the bar at the top, default value 'fit to width'

textures can be resized using the 'size' sliders in texture options

finally, when exporting the animation, the overall size of the animation including background can be resized in the export dialog box

does this help?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes thanks handrawn, it sorted the problem, although you can only enlarge the shape to 72.

Better than it was before.

You say the shape does not have dpi but when you hit the export button "The Export Dialoge Box" opens and under "bitmap size tab" you choose 300dpi

I'm just quoting "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" here in front of me.

Thanks again
    Fabian

exporting from xtreme ?

you do not export the shape from xtreme - you save it as xar, or you cut and paste

only the texture you export - right ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

I agree with handrawn ...

Vector shapes cannot have dpi. If you export bitmap, it's no longer a vector shape. Just cut/copy and paste the shape to 3D6.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by fabian View Post
    although you can only enlarge the shape to 72.
    you can type in a value and therefore go above this - the maximum it will accept is 288pt I think
    Last edited by handrawn; 04 July 2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: clarity
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm grateful that you take the time to answer my question and apologize for being a little thick and blame it on old age.

But looking back through "Creating a Spinning Logo" tutorial on page 2 (I numbered them after printing them out) just after "just 2 more things to do"
    it says:-

1. Select the vector shape you have just drawn and go to the File Menu and Choose Export.

I wont go any further, just to say you export the shape which is the backing part of the logo and then "Cut & Paste" the vector sheild shape, the graphic, which goes on the front of the logo.

Am I therefore getting my shapes and my graphics the wrong way round.
    Fabian

Hi

when you cut and paste into xara3d, the resulting object is rendered as a simple vector shape, it does not have the detail of the vector object[s] in xtreme

to get this you need to export the vector object[s] as bitmap, to import into xara3d as texture

if you like, the pasted in shape is a tailor's dummy [mannequin] and the texture is clothing you hang on it

it is a bit confusing at first - but Bob's tutorial is a good one to learn from
    Nothing lasts forever...

Once again thankyou for your help handrawn. I'm beginning to see the light as thats how I would see it (as a Mannequin). Things would be much easier if "Gary David Bouton" had wrote a book on Xara 3D as well as Xara Xtreme, then I wouldn't need to come up here bothering you lot with my lame questions.

Thanks handrawn.

P.S. May I ask one quick question, I've made a screensaver of the England team (actually its some nameless team or other) and got the English badge to rotate in the lower left hand corner. But as the sheild turns, the stip at the top underneath "The FA" rises slightly and near the end of the turn, dips slightly away and I'm not sure why.

I'd show you but I don't know how to get the scransaver up on the forum.

Cheers.
    Fabian

That's normally caused by the lighting positions. Adjust the lighting and see if that cures it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.