Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saving the toolbar layout?

Think I might already know the answer to this one but here goes anyway...
    Does anyone know an easy way to save a user-preferred layout for all control bars in Designer Pro? Something that can be restored from a backup file later maybe?

Just downloaded and installed the latest DP6 update and find I've got to spend a while sorting all my icons out again. I'm just betting that I'll have to go through the whole darn thing yet again when the CD's arrive.

A way of saving the current layout would be extremely useful.

Default Re: Saving the toolbar layout?

Sorry.

I cannot tell you how many times I have recreated my custom tool bars. But I have been using Xara since about 1996.

And like you, I will now be creating it once again.

Thanks for the reply Gary - thought that would be the case.

I'm a long time user myself (I remember pre-ordering my first copy of Xara Studio when they previewed it at the Windows 95 show in London - I was just blown away by its speed compared to CorelDRAW in those days!!)

Its always been a real drag having to re-do the bars and I can't believe it can be that hard to just have an option to backup and restore a favorite layout.

I can understand that it would be problematic between different versions but surely recreating a defined button set should be possible within a single version. sigh...

Exclamation Re: Saving the toolbar layout?

I used to use (and sometimes I still do!) a programme called Aldus Photostyler. I am now going back to the Windows 95 days.

Photostyler has the option to save a customised toolbar. Give is a name and reload/update/modify/save whenever you like.

Seems strange that a programme as powerful as Xara Xtreme or Designer cannot.

Well, maybe one day!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

And don't switch between the dark and light UI's either or you'll lose any customisations you made.

It is possible to back up the bars for a given version via the registry:

Open the registry
    Find the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\6.1\Bars Normal folder
    Right-click on this and select "Export"
    Save the resulting .reg file somewhere

To restore that bar format at a later date, double click on the .reg to merge this back in.

I've just tried it and it seems to work

Note: The reason this method may give undefined behaviour when restoring bar settings to a more recent build of the program is that the data contains information about operations and controls which may have been changed in the later build.

Thanks, Marc! I'll be trying that out when the CD arrives.

Did not work for me with XDP6 6.1.1. It put some Gallery icons like Duplicate, Layers (small rectangles icons) on the toolbars and I couldn't remove them. Had to reset the toolbars and re-build. Not recommended by me...

Jim

Thanks for that Marc.

Is there some way that this registry setting can be protected or not deleted like some of the other user info that does not get deleted when you uninstall and then reinstall an upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
    To restore that bar format at a later date, double click on the .reg to merge this back in.

I've just tried it and it seems to work
    Yup, I've tried this too, with variable success (I was not sure whether to use the bars normal or bars full key).

Got some VERY strange results but I still think it should be a simple option.

Scrim