Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xara Designer pro windows only?

Hello!

First of all wow! What an amazing new release of Xara! Congratulations!
    But did I miss something? I always used to think Xara is Mac and Windows and has that unofficial Linux version (I don;t know if it is still there working) though when I read system requirement for Xara Designer Pro 6, only windows is listed. Are there any plans for Mac version? I was very confident to suggest my friend Xara Designer 6 because she is looking for a good, powerful but easy to use software for fast projects, but she uses Mac, and it was a bummer to not see mac listed as supported platform.

Are there any chances for Xara Designer become cross platform?
    Any chances for Linux as well?

Thank you very much for your time and patience to answer these questions.
    Best regards,
    Danas

Default Re: Xara Designer pro windows only?

Over the years many people have requested a Mac version, but none is in sight or even suggested to be in the works. Magix is focussed on consumer product on the PC and I think they don't perceive there is a large enough market on the Mac or Linux platforms to make the investment worthwhile. I think they have that wrong for the Mac pro version.

Xara is the main software that is keeping me on the windows platform now!

I would much prefer to switch to Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 I have found superb for everything else).

Linux distros are so polished these days, but as there is so much free software on Linux a lot of people expect everything for nothing.

However, if Xara do make the effort to port to the Mac, please do Linux at the same time!! A free lite version would probably be best to entice people with regular and pro versions chargeable.

An old linux version does exist that has been discontinued. I don't remember where I found it and obviously it won't have nearly all the tools that the current versions have but it is functional. There is no Mac version at all.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

The Open Source Linux Version is still available in the Synaptic s Package Manager. However.. its no where near as good.

What you need is a powerful machine with a stripped down Windows XP partition in use on a Virtual Machine running in OSX or Ubuntu.

However.. so long as you are secure, and you habits are secure, for raw power and workflow, its impossible to beat Windows. Trust me, I have tried consistently year after year for many years!

XaraLX, the linux version can be downloaded from:
    http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

The download page was last updated in August of 2006, so you may need to brush a little dust off things.

XaraLX does not have any of the newest features, it did not have all the features available in the Windows version of that time frame.

There are some instructions on compiling the source code to run on a Mac, but again that information is about 4 years old now.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It's nice to have a competitive edge over Mac users.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    It's nice to have a competitive edge over Mac users.
    You already have that Gary - it's called "Creativity and Skill"..

now that is sad, I expected to migrate to Xara when I migrate to mac lands. NO Corel, No Xara, what to use then? I am not Adobe user nor I would like to use Adobe products. Xara Designer Pro 6 would have been the best choice.

I wonder why Xara Linux project stopped?

There weren't enough people interested in working on the open source version.