Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Wink Do we need a new forum...?

The WELL, one of the first on-line communities started in 1986 by Stuart Brand, publisher of the Whole Earth Catalog, had a topic, All Thrash - All The Time. It was a 24/7 flamefest where members could virtually duke it out on any subject at any time. It was devastatingly popular.

Maybe we need such a topic here?

Then instead of some members disrupting the product related conferences with their constant carping about everything under the sun (except the subject of the forum), these members could grumble and complain to their hearts content. And the rest of us could get on with the legitimate business of the forums.

What d'ya think?
    IP

Default Re: Do we need a new forum...?

+1 ... Great idea Gary! As long as it was made clear to carpers that they were being moved & not removed I think that would solve some problems indeed.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Second that idea.
    Was thinking to PM you about it, but you must have read my mind.
    Seeing how I am down here in Albuquerque town and you being in an elevated position, it is entirely possible.
    As long as criticism is constructive and not personally abusing, I am all for it.

-hanging out since i-us, where your personally invited me in-
    sunland
    IP

Well I was thinking the forum should be no holds bar. Hitting below the belt and eye gouging would be acceptable.

Su amigo del Neuvo Mexico.
    IP

I like that idea as well. We do have the off topic forum but maybe a designated place where people can go all out is good ? There would have to be some limits though I would think, I mean they still could not use profanity racism, sex, etc......
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire
    IP

Thatīs an interesting idea Gary or perhaps just start drawing and posting more as masque already suggested in another thread.
    The Xara Gallery hasnīt seen much activity in the latest weeks. Thatīs quite unusual here. Hum... iīm talking but i havenīt posted anything there too
    Time to shut up.... and start doing something...
    IP

Although the idea appeals to me, experience says no.

I participated in a site that opened just such a forum some years ago. Some of the posts went so far as to be potentially libellous, and the fallings out on that forum had effects in others – people who might never have fallen out if they had stuck to technical discussions did so when debate went beyond that.

In the end the work involved in moderating the forum forced the site to close it, which led a number of people to leave crying fascist heavy handed moderation etc.
    IP

There's a million places for people to vent, do we need to cater for this here.

If people can't use a little self constraint in a graphics forum of all places then just get rid of them. Obviously they are here to troll and not contribute.
    I ate my crayon.
    IP

Saw some of the same things happen with the "coffee house" over at the Cakewalk music software forums. After a long-closed status, they finally re-opened it. I never visit or participate in that particular forum, as the real reason that I go to most forums is to either learn or teach.

You'd have 1 of 2 options: either have it be completely unmoderated and risk legal issues with Xara bearing the possible brunt...

Or add even more moderation work to the current moderation staff...

Just my $.02
    IP

I think the idea is that those who grumble off-topic or get a bit heated in a thread will get asked to carry on in the new forum instead of - as now - getting moderated out altogether. Less chance then they'll go whinging about heavy-handed moderators - more chance the normal threads can get on with business
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP