Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thumbnail Images

22 42.31%
  • Full Size Images

30 57.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Poll on Thumbnail Images

Just to clarify my position, I didn't intend that to mean that I think anyone on this forum used to or would post like that. Going back and reading it I may have chosen a poor wording.

In any case I've frequented some forums where it's almost impossible to read a lot of threads because of ridiculously huge attachments.

On the other hand, at least here we get thumbnails. The guitar forum I frequent doesn't even do that, and that's a real drag.

P.S. Xara should use their coding prowess to make a command line version of Xara that can render thumbnails, so that when people attach .xar files they'd be visible.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

I voted thumbnail. Full size is just fine in a thread where there aren't many pictures, but on a busy thread where people are posting a lot of images, I prefer to click on the images to view it and when I revisit the thread, click on the new images. Threads load a lot faster that way.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Thumbs down Re: Poll on Thumbnail Images

I admit I prefer the full size images over the thumbnail versions. I don't know how many of these silly thumbnail images I've passed up clicking on the first several times through a thread only to end up clicking on one to see what all the fuss is about and finding that what looked like a ho-hum drawing in miniature is something quite different when viewed full size. Or, much to my surprise since there's no indication, the crummy thumbnail preview actually turns out to be an animated GIF.

I remember voicing my discontent over the thumbnail views when they were introduced a while back. I'm glad to see we're revisiting the issue and that we may have a chance of switching back to the full view as standard. Actually, back then, I thought it would be cool if the viewing preference could be a user selection available from everyone's control panel so an individual user could select their preference, full view or thumbnails. I believe Sledger was going to look into the possibility of making the view user selectable but, at that time, it was only available as a 'global' vBulletin setting.

That's my take,
    Harry

Remember that some of us don't have a full fledged broadband internet connection. And as a general rule; I hate to use all resources we have. Servers are using energy, all that we can spare is profitable. Don't hog the lines when there's no real need, I'd say.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

When the thumbnails first came about I didn't like them either but they have grown on me. I can prepare a page long tutorial and when the thumbnail is clicked and the larger image opens up one more click will open it up in a new window now the reader can use Ctrl+ to increase the size or even Ctrl+P to print it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I voted thumbnail, I only have 2GB fast speed, after that I go deadslow again, and I don`t want to waste that on big pictures I might not even want to see.
    They are also handy on my handy (cellphone ;o) )
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by ckh View Post
    I voted thumbnail. Full size is just fine in a thread where there aren't many pictures, but on a busy thread where people are posting a lot of images, I prefer to click on the images to view it and when I revisit the thread, click on the new images. Threads load a lot faster that way.
    My feeling also.
    Tony

Please lets go back to full images.

Having to click and wait for a load is really annoying.
    Most of the time I just squint at the thumb.

Well DD that is why I want thumbnails, if I use up up my 2Gb a month I have
    to wait forever for a thread to load if it is all big pictures.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Is there forum software that would allow the individual to change mode between thumbs and no thumbs ?