Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Modifying an image

Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the correct forum and I apologize up front if I got it wrong

I'm attempting to modify a jpg file that is used as a background in a website template I have. Here is a screenshot of how the template looks in its original format

https://shelley-documents.s3.amazona...background.gif

I tried recreating the jpg on my own and ended up with all these white lines showing in the template (even though the image size was the same as the original). So when that didn't work I tried just changing the colour over the top of the original jpg and still got the white lines (hope that makes sense).

Here are screen shots of how it looks after my attempt at modifying the jpg:

https://shelley-documents.s3.amazona...ackground1.gif

https://shelley-documents.s3.amazona...ackground2.gif

I've also attached the xara file that contains the original jpg graphic and my attempts at changing it. And I've attached the original jpg.

If someone could tell me what I need to do to fix this problem I'd really appreciate it as I'm going to use this template to create a couple of sites and I want different colours for each of them.

Thanks
    Shelley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	971 Bytes 
ID:	73653  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Modifying an image

hello breakthru,

In you background 1 you have a light gray outline around your grouped shapes. That´s the reason why appear white lines when you repeat it along the page.

Your background 2 is great. You´re probably having trouble with the aliases.

Follow these steps:
    [1] Put the quality slider (on the right of the zoom factor, on top) in position 3 (this is very important to make sure the bitmap copy you will create next will not be anti-aliased)
    [2] Right-click your original image or the background 2 as you prefer (both are OK) and select Create Bitmap Copy. In the Create Bitmap Options dialog select your preferred format and settings and click create.
    [3] A new bitmap image appears on the canvas. Select it, look at its name on the status line (the text line that appears on the bottom of the application window), open the Bitmap Gallery, select the bitmap using its name and click on the background button in the the gallery.
    [4] Your background should be filled correctly. You can put the view quality slider again on the position five (last on the right)

Miguel B.
    Last edited by MEB; 28 June 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo

Lightbulb Re: Modifying an image

It's as Miguel says breakthru. Make sure the 'Set view quality' slider on the tool bar is set to the middle position (position 3) in order to turn the anti-aliasing function of whatever version of Xara software you're using off. Also make sure that your graphic is positioned on the X & Y axes at whole pixel locations, for example X:-45px, Y: 400px, and NOT X: -45.7px, Y: 400.3px. That should fix you right up. I've attached a copy of your original file with my modifications added to it. Hopefully you can open it since I modified it using XWDP6.

Have fun,
    Harry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background - HayTay_01.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	980 Bytes 
ID:	73654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background fill - HayTay_01.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	73655  

Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you both so very, very much - I have spent hours on this and now I've got it working.

I very much appreciate your help.

Best wishes
    Shelley

I'm glad I was part of tag-team solution and could help you get what you needed done, done, Shelley.

It's usually something simple that trips ya up. BTW, you can take apart the vector version of the graphic I provided in the file by clicking on it to select it then removing the Clipview group (Alt+Q on the keyboard or Arrange > Remove Clipview from the menu bar).

We're here to help,
    Harry

You´re welcome.