Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: XPG6 Creating New Brushes and Colours

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Hi,

I was contacted about this thread and I’ve attached a xar file explaining how brushes work now and what’s changed. Interestingly, no functionality has been lost in V6, and the only change is that the default setting “local colours replace” has been changed from “no brush colours” to “named brush colours”. This allows brushes to become much friendlier and usable by remembering line settings (such as colour etc.). However, the change means that you must understand how to design brushes so their colours can be changed. Take a look at the xar file for more help, and also section 3.1.3 of my brush tutorial on my website.

Xhris
    I understand that in many (but definately not all) cases the new default is more practical. However, I do not understand why one can set a brush's 'Local colours replace' property only to have it ignored the next time one uses that brush (this didn't work in XPro5 either, though).

This behavior has led me to believe this property is actually a property of the line, not the brush itself (the other fill properties do save properly with the brush).

I would love to see this changed, so the 'Local colours replace' property is related to and saved with the brush itself, so one can decide for oneself what the brush is supposed to do.

Frans

Yes, that the setting is not saved with the brush is a known bug. Fortunately, the new changes suppress the worst effects of that bug (from a practical sense), but hopefully it will get fixed properly one day.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is a quick tutorial. I did this in Designer Pro, but it should be the same in XPGD. As you can see its really very simple
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colour change brushes.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	74068  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.