Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Crop/Resize

Default Crop/Resize

What is the easiest way to resize/crop a photo to a specific size...i.e. 300 pixels by 500 pixels?

Thanks.

Keith

Default Re: Crop/Resize

Since the photo tool doesn't allow you to type things in for the dimensions, the bst way I can think is to make a rectangle the size you want and then clipview it with the photo (Q). Of course, you can do this with other shapes as well, so if you want to round the corners of a picture or something, this is a quick and easy way to do it.

Does that help?

You don't say which version you have, but I think they're mostly the same in this. You can resize a photo using the width/height controls, but to keep proportion only width or height. You can place a centred rectangle of the size over the image, select both and then Arrange >> Combine shapes >> Intersect shapes. But what I would do is create a 300x500 rectangle, put it behind the photo, select both and press Q on your keyboard. It's then in clipview and you can manoeuvre the image inside the clip as required [see the help menu under "clipview" for details]

EDIT Beaten to it again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-06-26_141306.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	73619  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

If you want to crop and resize, the best way is to use the crop tool (second button on the photo tools flyout bar). First drag on the photo to draw a crop rectangle, then enter the width/height you want in the infoBar. Click Clip on the infoBar to clip the photo to the clip rectangle.

Then to adjust it you can use the Fill tool. Drag on the photo to push it around inside the clipped rectangle, drag on the ends of the fill arrows to scale/zoom the photo inside the clip rectangle (hold down Ctrl while doing this to keep it upright).

Regards

Neil

See what happens when you ask: multiple ways to accomplish a similar thing; and I just learned something from NeilH - that you CAN enter values for the size, but you need to drag a rectangle with the crop tool to do so, as opposed to just grabbing the handles and moving them.

Also, good to note that the pic can be moved around and zoomed within that "frame"...

Note about manually entering a size value in the crop tool:

The photo clip tool calculates the dimensions from the top left corner of the rectangle down and right (regardless of your grid/ruler direction setting). If you enter a value that would extend the clip rectangle past the right or bottom edge of the photo, XD6 will not accept the value. That can give you the impression that you can't manually enter these values.

Just move the clip rectangle slightly so it's not touching the edge of the photo, then enter the value you desire.