Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Webdesigner 6, html code and commercial projects

Hi,

I am new in Webdesigner 6, and would like to know your opinions and also clarify some doubts, please.

Can the code generated by Webdesigner 6 be modified through other editor after the designing process of the website?

Is it possible to upload manually the website created on Webdesigner 6, through a FTP client, instead to use the built in uploader? How can I do this, please?

And, do you think it possible to develop and sell commercial projects only with Webdesigner 6, i.e., sell websites using only the Xara Webdesigner 6? Some of you do this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Re: Webdesigner 6, html code and commercial projects

Hi Ewsg

Can the code generated by Webdesigner 6 be modified through other editor after the designing process of the website?
    Yes, but amongst other things it is a one way trip and the file cannot brought back into XWD

Is it possible to upload manually the website created on Webdesigner 6, through a FTP client, instead to use the built in uploader? How can I do this, please?
    Yes. You will have to consult the documentation for the FTP software. I would recommend Filezilla

And, do you think it possible to develop and sell commercial projects only with Webdesigner 6, i.e., sell websites using only the Xara Webdesigner 6? Some of you do this?
    Yes and yes

Hi Drwyd,

Thank you.

So, I already use Filezilla. So, after the creation, all I have to do is upload all the files and folders generated by Webdesigner 6. Is this correct?

Thanks!

I didn't think that this it was possible to edit in an editor as I have tried in different ones to no avail. What editors will do this?

Hi,

Some of you develops commercial projects with Webdesigner 6? Can you share some of them?

@Ewsg

Yes.

If using WD6 to upload, just make sure that when you export to your hard drive that you overwrite the previous export. Version 6 keeps a file at this location to keep track of files that have or have not been modified. This makes it possible for it to upload only the changed files.

@Miko

I use Notepad to edit HTML files but unless you understand the reason for every little dot and comma then you can get into a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    I didn't think that this it was possible to edit in an editor as I have tried in different ones to no avail. What editors will do this?
    Any HTML editor can edit the HTML files produced from Xara software. It's not recommended though and it is not paticularly straightforward if you wish to make changes to text, because Xara generates separate HTML elements for every line of text and may create an image with the text in the image under some circumstances.

Basically if you want to edit HTML, the Xara products aren't the way to go - the workflow doesn't suit, not is the HTML designed to be user-friendly. If you want to think about design rather than HTML then Xara software is made for you.
    Last edited by pauland; 25 June 2010 at 09:00 PM.

If you need to add snippets of HTML code into your page you can use "placeholders"

Thanks for all your help!