Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Designer Pro 6 Only large buttons?

Okay... how do you change the tool bar buttons to small buttons? The options are all greyed out! I am old but not that blind yet. This is a work stoppage, and abandon software problem for me.

John Rayner
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro 6 Only large buttons?

Hello there John. Yes your'e correct. Looks like a bug.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Welcome back John
    Nice to hear from you again.

Cheers

Nice to see you around again John.

I too dislike the large buttons (to say nothing of the appalling tri-colour pastel colour scheme .... sorry, did I say that out loud), but it appears that no-one has bothered designing a small icon set yet, so we'll just have to make do. It really does seem that this new GUI has only been half finished.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi John

As has been raised and discussed elsewhere, if you switch back to the old light-grey interface (Alt-Ctrl-Shift-S), you can then apply the switch back to the smaller buttons - that option ceases to be greyed-out. And whilst I'm growing to quite like the dark grey, I much prefer small buttons and am therefore tempted to stick with the old interface. The large buttons are a bit... sorry, but toy-like is the best phrase that springs to mind, IMHO, just because of their size.

Jon H
    Last edited by JonH27; 25 June 2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Helpfully adding the instructions to revert to light grey UI

Hi John,
    Good to hear from you again.
    Zee

Before you start playing with Alt-Ctrl-Shift-S (like I just did!) please note that it removes all your custom buttons both in the left and top buttons menu....

It's interesting that you want smaller buttons, I had the opposite opinion when I installed XD6. I think it comes from the resolution of your screen. I am working on a 24" 1980x1200 screen and I have plenty of room for bigger buttons.

JimR

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Yes the new UI supports large buttons only, so the options to turn on small buttons are disabled.

We did this because the new flyout bars allow us to provide more buttons without having to fit them all on a permanently visible bar. And because it means we don't need to double up every icon design and on the default bar layouts by having both large and small versions (the 16x15 sizes were a real challenge for the icon designers to make them recognisable). It also allows us to make the different related products (Web Designer, PGD, Pro, etc.) have similar bar layouts which helps with help text and screenshots many of which are shared between the different products.

The old UI which you can switch to (as mentioned elsewhere) does still support large and small icons, but in future releases this may not be supported.

Neil

I have the opposite problem...I'm using a 30" monitor resolution 2560 X1600. The buttons and other type are miniscule...If smaller buttons are possibe, why not extra large buttons?

I know I can lower the monitor resolution but that seems very counter productive...

Hey guys, most of us who are using this software to make a living are graduating to larger monitors. Get with the program.....Bill

Quote Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
    The old UI which you can switch to (as mentioned elsewhere) does still support large and small icons, but in future releases this may not be supported.

As indicated in various threads and the poll and despite the 'snappy' look of the new interface, many of us would like Xara to continue to offer the old light gray UI and the small icons in future releases!