View Poll Results: Which User Interface do you prefer

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xara Light Grey (old)

57 44.88%
  • Xara Dark Grey (new)

70 55.12%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Poll: Which User Interface do you prefer?

I may have to switch back to light just to reduce the toolbar button size ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I actually like the dark UI. I think though like soquili says keep the option to switch between the two and everybody is happy. If there was a 3rd option on this poll for "Choice" I would have voted for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Like dark. Lets you focus on what you are working on rather than the interface. Same with my audio and video software. Projects crisp and clean, interface dark and out of the way until needed. For those that don't agree of course a choice to lighten it up would be handy.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    If there was a 3rd option on this poll for "Choice" I would have voted for that.
    Everyone would. And that's exactly why it's not there.
    John.
    IP

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Ok, if you don't have a 'choice' option, then a 'no preference' option would be good. I don't really care one way or the other. I didn't like the new interface much at first but I've gotten used to it. Some of the flyouts still anoy me on occasion. I never seem to get the navbar button on the first attempt.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter which way the vote goes.
    The question is, "Will Xara (or is it Magix) listen to what the opinion is on this forum?"
    It seems they have already made a decision that suits a majority of users, so the question is irrelevant.
    So if the vote to keep the new interface wins, does that mean that it is the right thing to do?
    Possibly, but the most important fact is that it is technically superior and should therefore remain, regardless of any stupid poll on the subject.
    Many in this thread have said and I have always held a strong view on this. Give the customer the choice - is it really that difficult to do?
    Xara are trying to help you as an artist by providing a technically superior GUI, you should thank them and embrace this important change.
    Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    You know, your operating system (Windows) already HAS an EXTENSIVE bunch of options to exactly choose EVERY SINGLE color of EVERY UI element.
    Not with Aero in Vista and Win7, which is possibly what prompted Xara to take the matter into their own hands.
    [QUOTE}However, for a few years, more and more applications simply ignore standard OS widgets and colors and simply provide their own, which is a very worrying trend indeed.[/QUOTE]
    Why? Do you think Microsoft know more about working with colour than Xara does? Do you think Microsoft even care? You only have to look at Windoze Picture and Fax Viewer, with it's blinding white background, to see that they know nothing. I'd much rather these kinds of decisions being made by Xara than by them.
    But seeing how even Microsoft does that nowadays - I wonder why operating systems even still provide any UI drawing code...
    Xara uses a lot of Windoze stuff, to draw open, import, export, save and print dialogs, for example.

I've never seen such a fine example of fear of change. If you guys had spent a couple of months allowing yourselves to get used to the new UI and decided that it was somehow hampering your ability to get your work done, then there might be valid reasons for changing it back but the simple fact is that in a month you it will become a complete non-issue. It changes nothing for most of you but allows those of us who take our jobs seriously to d better work that is more consistent with other professional applications. I've always done my colour correction work in a more appropriate environment but with the new UI, I might give it a shot in Xara and see how it goes. Of course, the tools are somewhat basic but for quick adjustments, they can suffice.
    IP

Bones there is no fear of change, simply a physical discomfort that you appear to think does not exist.

So far you have not provided any proof that the dark interface is "superior technologically". I hear a lot of talk but nothing to back it up.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Ok BONES, I guess you have made some valid points there.

Obviously, I agree that the standard windows colors are not suitable for professional color work. You know what? When I work with Vegas (movie editor, I still have version 8 which uses the Windows-provided colors), I specifically right-click on the desktop and load a different theme. Actually, I have one "Dark" Windows theme which I load for working with graphics stuff (now that's not necessary anymore with Xara), and a "Standard" theme for office / browsing / etc.

So, maybe you're right and it's wise for applications to each provide their own, custom UIs best suitable for their specific tasks.

As I said, the trend in recent years goes towards custom UI widgets anyway. As long as it's done RIGHT (which is roughly the case with Xara and also, for example, Blender), it's probably OK.

So, this is a very rare situation - I actually admit that someone else has a point!

(Though, it's maybe a bit TOO dark, and also, the font size is too small for my taste. Maybe these two points could simply get customizable - along with the saturation / alpha of the UI icons (Sony Vegas has that option, for example))

Cheers

EDIT: And to reiterate: IF Xara takes the (probably acceptable) decision to tone down the user interface, then PLEASE, Xara, for the next update, do the same for ALL galleries. Having a few galleries open on the second monitor, they brutally distract from the main monitor and design. It's also a lack of consistency.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks
    IP

I totally agree with Bill.

Bones, your tone is not very professional at all. You do raise the odd good point and I agree with some of them for SOME people, maybe even the majority.

There is a reason there are so many software packages out there and that's because there are many different types of people using them. That the gui presented with the new Xaras should not work for some should not be a surprise....and that point you either aren't getting or aren't acknowledging. These are valid points for some and whether you admit it or not doesn't mean it isn't true....it quite simply is....and the only real proof needed is personal experience, not some unknow board of 'experts'.

I have been at some kind of computer screen on a steady basis since 1976...not being an artist maybe but in front of a screen daily nevertheless. I find the dark gui hard to use for darker colours....my eyes are getting older and I'm sure there are 'quieter' members on this site that aren't talking about that....but you can see the poll.....at least 30% agree with these sentiments and that's not insignificant....regardless of said experts.

You need to concede you don't know everything about what's a good gui for everyone and understand there are some that it's not good for regardless on what the 35 year old, good eyed experts say.....

There are other valid points out there, not just yours and you should be acknowledging that.....if....you want to be considered truly professional.

Again, I have no personal grudge on your points, they are mostly valid....but so are others........
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11
    IP

I like all the 5 version interfase, I can't realize why do I need Fly out menus, I think xara was strong for its simplicity and now it is becoming a traditional design software, before I had just to click once to select a tool, now I have to click to expand the menu to after select a tool, I hope I can dissable that behaviour, I DON?T LIKE IT.
    About light or dark I think that older colors made the things clearer, the new one looks PRO but it is just that when you I use it I feel unconfortable.
    In summary I dissapointed with version 6, I hope I change my oppinion when I check web designer capabilities.
    Best regards
    Javier
    IP