Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Adding to Groups via the DP6 Page & Layer Gallery

I upgraded to Designer Pro 6 from XX5 and WD5&6 so this is the first time I've used the full blown Page and Layer Gallery where I can see the individual objects. I don't seem to be able to drag a newly created object into an existing Group via the P&L Gallery as I could with Corel Draw X3's Object Manager and Creature House's/Microsoft's Expression.

With nested groups I have to ungroup from the level where I want the new object to end up to the top level, add the new item(s) to the resulting ungrouped selection set, group things up again, and drag the new items to the desired place on the stack.

Is that the way I have to do it or is there something I'm missing?

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: Adding to Groups via the DP6 Page & Layer Gallery

You aren't missing anything. That is the way it works. Of course, waiting until you have drawn all your objects before you group them works even better, but sometimes that isn't possible.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Thanks. It wasn't that big a deal. I was just curious.

I was tinkering around with pages on a web site that I started last year with WD5. I inserted a new Blend on the layer with all the background stuff, wanting it to end up just above the bottom of the object stack. I found a number of unnecessary nested levels of groups that I didn't realize I had created because WD5/6's and XX5's Page/Layer Galleries didn't show anything more detailed that the layers.

So I had to Ctrl-U away the unnecessary groupings before I could drag the Blend where I wanted it to be. Shouldn't be a problem in the future as I'll be able to better see what I'm doing organizationally.

Also, some groups are automatically created when you use certain effects (blends, bevels, etc.)

I agree it would be nice to be able to drag an object into an effect group and it would pick up that effect. Not to complain - I've barely dug into all the new stuff in DP6.

Thumbs up Re: Adding to Groups via the DP6 Page & Layer Gallery

Yes, getting acquainted with all the wonderful new toys will keep you busy for a while.