Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to apply clipview without to merge the two layers?

Hello friends,

I am a beginner in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6. I am trying to apply the clipview tool without to merge the two layers.

I have 2 layers, with 2 different objects on both. When I apply the clipview, the two are merged, and the 2 objects becomes 1. Is there some way to prevent this, please?

Thanks again!

Default Re: How to apply clipview without to merge the two layers?

Thread moved to: Xtreme & Xtreme Pro - Photo & Graphic Designer - Designer Pro forum

Quote Originally Posted by ewsg View Post
    Is there some way to prevent this
    No, the ClipView must be on the current layer, active layer, the container and the contents.
    You can try to use Apply soft group;.... you can select many objects on many layers then apply soft group.

From xara Help file:
    Soft Groups and Layers
    Soft Groups are unusual because they are groups of objects that can span different layers. (Normal groups have to be contained within one layer). When you select any part of a Soft Group the other parts are also selected, even if they are on hidden or locked layers. The Page & Layer Gallery will show all selected items highlighted in blue, but in the case of Soft Groups these items may be on other layers that you've not expanded, and so are not immediately visible
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Hi ewsg

Why do you want to prevent the "merging"?

The two shapes are still individual objects. You can select them individually in the Page & Layer Gallery and edit them pretty much any way you like. You can press click while you select either object and move it around without disturbing the other one.

The two objects are just brought together in a particular kind of group defined by the edges of the bottom shape. For that, they have to be put on the same layer. Because they're grouped, the group itself becomes an "object" and you can apply formatting to it.

Are you thinking that the clipview function is equivalent to a mask in a bitmap or animation application?

Info Re: How to apply clipview without to merge the two layers?

ewsg, copying and pasting the clipping object from the other layer to the layer of the object you want to clip before performing the Clipview operation will preserve the 2 layers. Other than that it is what BP and amoore have stated, the Clipview object becomes another object unto itself that can be further manipulated.

Does that help?

Let us know,
    Harry

Hello friends,

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I think I am thinking yet I am in a bitmap editor.

So, when I use clipview, the two objects, from different layers, are merged, and so, I can't change them separately.

So, if I copy and paste the two objects to the same layer before apply the clipview, the two will remains indendent, and will I get to work with them separately?

This is a little confused to me, sorry. And, sorry for my beginner questions. Hope I get the basics of Xara soon. But, I would like to say, after around 1 month using it, that I have opened my older PS 7 for only around 2 or 3 times. I am very happy!

what Harry is saying is that you will still get the clipview object on one layer - there is no way round this - but you still have the original object that you used for clipping, left behind on the lower layer

cilipped object on the upperlayer
    original object used for clipping on the lower layer

you can then work with these seperately - or you can join them as a soft group, which preserves their layers, if you want

one thing - when you copy and paste the clipping object to the layer of the object you want to clip, make sure you 'paste in place', and then that it is moved below the objects to be clipped on that layer
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hello handrawn,

I think I understood now.

I will try to play a little.

I am loving Xara.

ewsg, just to reiterate:

The objects in the clipview will be on the same layer when you apply the clip.

You can keep copies of the the objects on other, separate layers if you like. You can apply soft grouping to those objects, but you will not get a clipview or mask effect with a soft group.

However, within the clipview, you can continue to modify the objects independently of each other. There are at least two ways you can select an object in the clip group for independent editing:

1) In the Page & Layer Gallery, expand the clip group so you can see the objects included in it. Select the desired object.

2) On the canvas, press the Control key while you click the object with your mouse.

(PS, I love Xara, too ).

Hi amoore,

Thanks for your informations.

So, I found this way of expanding the clip group more easy. It's great to know that.

Thank you very much. I am finding so many fantastic things on the Xara sofwares that I left my older PS unused, and I will uninstall it soon.