Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Re-publishing issue

I got my site up via FileZilla. Then I needed to adjust the font size and an image on the home page. I used the text tool to drop the font size down and hi-lited the image and reduced it to the smaller size. I then re-published via Filezilla again. The revised text did not get smaller, plus the text itself extended out to the right side of the page on to another image, not even close to where I had it and where it appeared in preview. The other image that I reduced in size was showing a white frame with the red X.

When I update a site and re-publish, do I have to delete the previous file each time? Do I have to republish the whole site again? I published two sites in the past with WD5 straight from Xara with no problems. What step am I missing here.

I'm using WD6.

Thanks in advance,

Pattie

Default Re: Re-publishing issue

Quote Originally Posted by Pattie View Post
    I then re-published via Filezilla again.
    FileZilla isn't aware of the changes that your alterations can make to the names of the edited then re-exported images. In these cases it's best to use Web Designer 6 to 'Republish changed files only'.

Thanks for your reply,

I tried to re-publish via Xara as passive but got error 5xxx?
    I clicked the trace debug box in Xareg.
    I tried to re-publish via Xara as active. I checked the only publish updated files box and at 8% it timed out. I'm open for any other suggestions.

Thank you,

Pattie

Time outs are generally connection or server issues. Perhaps try again later.

Thanks,

In FileZilla, bottom left area in failed transfers, it indicated index_htm had failed to load.

I went into Xara, and rebuilt the home page from scratch, (which is the page that I changed the font size and an image size) not doing any copy/paste of anything. I then deleted the original home page. I cleaned the cache and temp files. In preview, I made sure it worked. It comes up looking fine. I click on a button in the navbar and for a split second, the font on the page shrinks to small and then it goes to the page I request. When I come back to the home page, the font is little.

This morning I deleted all files from my host, Ipower, uploaded via FileZilla and all went well (no failed transfers). I looked at the page and it is completely trashed and mangled. I tried to upload via Xara, and when it gets to 8%, it times out.

I'm thinking it is an Ipower issue and due to a lack of assistance from them, I'm ready to try another host. I realize there are many to choose from, but I'm asking for a suggestion(s) from anyone on this forum in regards to who you use. Is Xara more compatible with certain hosting services?

I'm so pleased with the user friendly, basic operation of Xara. Being able to offer small website design service to my video business is a wonderful expansion opportunity for me. I'm a creative, end user of software and this is starting down the road of getting too techy for me and I'm wanting to stream line the uploading process.

I appreciate your advice Sledger and anyone else.

Cheers, Pattie

Quote Originally Posted by Pattie View Post
    Is Xara more compatible with certain hosting services?
    Not really related in any way.

I'm ready to try another host
    As a test, I suggest you take advantage of the free web hosting at MAGIX

At least you will be able to ascertain whether it's an ipower issue or your connection via your ISP.

Last month I built a small site and the client liked the idea of a free hosting service so I took advantage of Magix and all went wonderful, even doing minor tweaks later.

My new client wanted hername.com for this new site and since I have an account with Ipower I went with them again. I'm assuming that for a fee, I will be able to transfer her new domain name over to Magix for hosting purposes. Am I correct?

I am always open for suggestions from those with experience.

Thank you,

Pattie

I think you are changing the subject a bit..

Let's work on your own publishing errors shall we

OK, I've taken some asprin and yes, I'm ready to move on!

I uploaded again, to Ipower, XaReg set at active, via Xara and it timed out at 67%. I looked at the site and the first page had loaded, but recieved the 404 message on all the other pages. Without changing anything, anywhere, I took two more asprin and I republished again thru Xara and then it loaded 100%, but one picture on the second page is a white frame with the red x.

Unless you have another suggestion, I was going to try to reload only that second page and see if I can get the pic to show up, and hopefully not have everything else get messed up.

Cheers and many thanks,

Pattie