Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3-D shadowing

Default Re: 3-D shadowing

I think you still have it wrong Harry. The cast shadows on the floor would be darkest and most destinct closest to the rings and lighter and more feathered further away from the rings. I think Egg has it more correct.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

OK, Rik, Frank, and anyone else who's interested, here's something for you to rip apart. All 4 interlocking ring sets are the same. In each group only the underlying Clipview shapes have been moved to alter the over/under view where the rings cross each other. After applying the Clipview operation the underlying shape is selected by Ctrl-Clicking with the mouse. The shapes fill color and line color are then set to 'no color' from the color bar, essentially turning the underlying shape 'invisible'.

Hopefully the mini-tutorial is complete enough for someone who hasn't used the Clipview tool in Xara Xtreme to follow. Have I ever mentioned that I really like using the Clipview tool? Oh! I have, haven't I? I'm thinking it was only once or twice, though.

Enjoy responsibly ,
    Harry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extruded Interlocking Rings - HayTay's Clipview Example.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	73185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interlocking Rings Mini-Tutorial by HayTay - Page 1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	73186  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interlocking Rings Mini-Tutorial by HayTay - Page 2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	73187  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wink Re: 3-D shadowing

You're correct, Larry. This time I'm chalking this one up to 'artistic license'.

It is actually slightly darker under the rings but it's hard to tell from most of it being covered by the rings. It's difficult to tell exactly how dark it should be under the rings considering the light that would be reflected from the shiny, white surface they're sitting on. I had the shadows darker at one point but when I ran it through my printer they were so dark that they were visually distracting.

My shadows definitely need some more work, but, I had a mini-tutorial to do so I had to take a break from the (semi-)finished drawing. I'll work on your suggestion when I compile the full tutorial.

Thanks for the critique,
    Harry

Good use of clipview Harry. Nice.

And a great use of the Bug-Wumpy trapping error too Harry.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry for not getting back sooner Harry. Guess this puts me at the top of the rude list.

I did download the file and did take it apart. Pretty well all the old hands have done this project by one method or another. Clone the bottom circle, create a shape and then select the clone and the shape and either subtract or intersect, both work. Also, somebody on the formum did the same thing except instead of creating another form, he just used a linear transparancy on the clone. And then there's you........

So, where does this leave your method. Well, I should be negative so you don't go and get a swollen head, but what you did is great, and should be put on the xone, not so much for what you did but on how you did it. This is too great of a trick or technique just to get buried and lost on the forum as has happened so often. As I said, I do use the clipview occassionally which only shows I know how to use it, coming up with a great idea like yours shows not only that you understand it, but that you can also improvise and come up with new ideas on how to use the tools. Probably saying this badly.

I know that certain members have their prefered tools or toys in Xara. I believe Egg has a long standing love affair with the contour tool and can probably come up with a thousand ideas on how to use it, you seem to like the clipview by what you have written and I forget his name, but one of the Russian members seemed to like the eclipse and has drawn a fantastic female figure just by using eclipses. Looks like maybe I should find one for myself..........maybe the transparancy tool. Give us a honest opinion on what you think of my self portrait at the end of this sentence................ ................ so, what do you think. Ahhhhhhhh, gotta love that transparancy tool....nobody is going to critisize my shadows..............frank

Agree.
    Added to the Tips'n'Tricks forum

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=46007

Thanks Steve, Eric, Frank and Steve (again).

Things that go bug-wumpy are usually to be avoided, but, sometimes, can yield unexpected and pleasing results.

"Who knows what darkness lurks behind objects in drawings? The Shadow Tool knows!"

Frank, yep, what I did is old news and has been covered many times in many places. I've also used the 'linear transparency method' you mentioned to produce a similar effect in other drawings of mine. I believe the Bob Hahn may be the one to credit with using linear transparencies to duplicate the clipview effect.

Here's several threads started by Rik, Sledger & Myself in which I extol the virtues and my addiction to using the Clipview Tool. The thread entitled 'HayTay' - How do you do this? contains a link to Bob's thread detailing the linear transparency technique and my application of it to help John (neodeist) in making a Celtic Knot pattern.

Frank, the transparency tool is all yours. I can't wait to not see what you've done with it.

Off to Clipview other shapes,
    Harry