Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3-D shadowing

Smile Re: 3-D shadowing

Thanks for the the compliments, guys.

'Twas all done using the tools available in Xara Xtreme Pro 5; rectangle, ellipse, fill, extrude, shadow, feather, transparency, shape editor and clipview (of course - my favorite and most overused tool). Combine those with a few basic shape operations and there you have it.

Xtreme Magic,
    Harry

Default Re: 3-D shadowing

Clipview Harry?

I don't have the faintest where you would use clipview in your drawing. How would you like to post the xara file so we (actually I) can have a take apart session with it.

Last guy that did a number on me with clip view was javier (jvila) and his glass ball and I still have not fully recovered from it. Would really like to see where you are using it as clip view does get a bit of use on my machine, but very limited.

Thanks in advance..................frank

Hi Frank.

Never mind you, I think we would all (I really mean me) would like to see the .xar file.

I want to see how Harry made the rings.

So, you're not alone!

Thanking you in advance for making the request in the first place.

Or, Harry could do a tutorial - what do you think?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I agree, the shadowing is top notch Harry, good job.
    The reflections on the other hand are quite wrong.
    Find a shiny surface in the home and place a BBQ egg ring or similar on it's edge then move your POV around, you will see the reflections will always appear straight down from the object rather than 'cast' like shadows.

Thumbs up Re: 3-D shadowing

Tutorials??? I'm already 6 years behind on promised tutorials and I've only been using Xara Xtreme for a little over 2 years. At least it seems that way.

So what do you two (or more) want? The XAR file as instant gratification... or delayed gratification in the form of a tutorial? I'll do one, or the other, but, not both. If everyone votes for the tutorial I'll start on it and, hopefully, finish it tomorrow.

Steve, thanks for the compliment and the critique. Of course, you are quite right about how 'the reflections will always appear straight down from the object'. I had to get a shiny surface and various objects at hand to try it out. Spot on. Obviously, I need to start studying shadows less and reflections more. It seems that there are additional subtle differences between a 'solid object' and its 'reflection'. That is, beyond just flipping a copy of the item over and whipping some linear transparency on it to give the illusion of reflection.

Here's an updated version of my interlocking rings that 'reflects' Steve's observations and suggestion into the drawing. Much better, thanks! Other suggestions, anyone?

I learned at least one new thing today ,
    Harry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interlocking Rings_TG02 - ©2010 HayTay.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	73145  

I love pulling people's xar files apart.

But, on this occasion, I think I would rather prefer a tutorial.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    It seems that there are additional subtle differences between a 'solid object' and its 'reflection'. That is, beyond just flipping a copy of the item over and whipping some linear transparency on it to give the illusion of reflection.
    Dead right - in fact it's more than a flip, it's a mirror as well.
    So any lean the the object must also be mirrored in the reflection, this is where it get's tricky.
    One of the most difficult 3D reflections is a vector car drawing on a shiny floor.
    Somehow you need to 'reflect' parts you haven't even drawn in the original object, like the underside of the car... a whole new POV! In fact, it actually means drawing the reflection as a whole new object (which is probably why you don't often see it)

Hi Harry with an "H"

For myself, I am just wondering where and how you used your clipview. The more you see, the more you learn.

Probably, I am just looking at your work with tunnel vision and am trying to see a clipview where no clipview exist and do not see where the real clipview is because I am not expecting it to be where it is.

Not sure if you understand this idiot babbeling, not even sure if I understand it......time for beddy by probably.

Since I can not talk with you personally to pick up tricks and hints, and since I am not there to stare over you shoulder while your working (bet you're saying thank God for that one), one of the best ways to learn from somebody else on the forum is either a tutorial or to take their work apart. Since I have this nasty destructive streak in myself I kinda prefer the last technique, said with an evil laugh.

Leave you alone now.......nighty night..........frank

Harry, the only issue I have is where the floor shadows overlap. Unless the rings were glass you wouldn't get the doubled ring shadow.

Name:	png.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	73172  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Red face Re: 3-D shadowing

Frank - Harry with an "H" ???

??? I've always spelled Harry with an "H". Even HayTay starts with an "H". I'd just confuse myself if it didn't. For you I'll post the Clipview ring parts. Give me a few minutes to copy and paste them into another file.

Egg - Right you are! So much for using Xtreme's Shadow Tool (bummer). I remade all of the ring shadows by hand and eye; 6 rings grouped in sets of 3, 2 linear transparencies, and a bit of feathering on each ring. Here's my shadow update incorporating your imparted knowledge. I guess it's too soon to scrap the studying of shadows. Thank you for altering and updating my view of the world. I'm open to other suggestions, observations, and criticisms.

Just for kicks, I decided to run my latest version of 'Interlocking Rings' through my printer. WOW!!! The print looks great.

Learning and revising, revising and learning,
    Harry

Name:	Interlocking Rings_TG03 - ©2010 HayTay.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	73180