Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Runtime error in WD6

I installed the trial version of WD6, which went well. However, the first time I tried to start the software, I got a popup window stating: "Runtime error, Program:...ram Files (x86)\Xara\Xara Web Designer 6\WebDesigner.exe abmormal program termination".

This is displayed each time I try to start WD6.

My OS is Windows 7

Any help would be appreciated.
    IP

Default Re: Runtime error in WD6

Welcome to TG Forums.

Runtime error messages can be caused by:

Corrupt installer, conflict with a TSR or other running program, Malware or Memory (RAM) issue.

You could try downloading the software again from xara.com in case your original downland became corrupted.

If the same thing happens, you can try removing the software, rebooting your PC, disconnect from the web, disable your AV software and any registry monitoring/protection software then reinstall Web Designer.

Another thing to try is to enable DEP for all programs and the add WebDesigner.exe to the exception list.

Note. None of this should be necessary under normal circumstances.
    However, something on your machine is causing an error.
    IP

Thanks, but I tried all of those already.

I am going to try to install it on my laptop, which is also running Windows 7, and see what happens. If it's a no go there, I might as well move on to other software.

It's just too bad WD6 doesn't run properly. I haven't had a problem with any other software on this computer.

There's always got to be the lone holdout which ruins the show. And, you are right, those fixes should not be used in normal situations. If WD6 is the ONLY one not running right, then I would say the software is pretty finicky.
    IP

Thanks, but I tried all of those already.
    Excellent, but it would have been helpful if you had mentioned everything you had tried and tested in your opening post

If WD6 is the ONLY one not running right, then I would say the software is pretty finicky.
    Not at all. The software runs on hundreds if not thousands of PC's without any error. I use on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit myself.
    I'm pretty certain that the developers thoroughly test it internally and with a team of user/beta testers before it's released.

However, with so much malware, hoax-AV's, and other poorly written software around, there are certain to be some conditions which can adversely affect a software installation.

Hopefully you will have more luck with your laptop, keep in touch
    IP

Sorry, but I meant to say I tried all of those after you told me about them.

Here's what's happened since then:

I installed WD6 on my laptop and it works fine. Some differences between the laptop and my desktop is that I'm running Win7 32 on the laptop, and my desktop is running Win7 64. Also, Win7 was a clean install on the laptop. I didn't install anything I didn't need from the manufacturer.

I did a diagnostic startup on my desktop, but that proved useless. Even with it running in "bare mode", I still experience the runtime error.

Now, outside of the hardware, there should have been nothing different between running WD6 on my laptop, and trying to run it on my desktop in diagnostic startup.

It's great to have WD6 running on my laptop, but I'd rather be using a larger display with better performing hardware of the desktop.
    IP

Here's another update.

I installed the trial of WD5 on my desktop computer, and it's working without a problem.
    IP