Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: make a 3d box for a software packaging

You know, I've tried using that perspective tool before (that's what I started using originally), but I couldn't get the proper perspective to match with a box. using the 3D tool so that everything matches seemed easier and more logical.

Also, just went back and tried again, just for GPs, and while I have my cover selected and have clicked on the Mould tool, all of the perspective options are grayed out. Meaning, they aren't available to click on. Do you know what that's all about?

I couldn't get the proper perspective to match with a box.
    Enable Rulers (Ctrl+SHIFT+R) drag a rules to position and set snapping to guides (press '1' on the numeric keypad to toggle guides on/off)
    Name:  guides-mould.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  4.0 KB

while I have my cover selected and have clicked on the Mould tool, all of the perspective options are grayed out.
    They should be available if the object is selected and the Mould tool enabled (pressed).
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 May 2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added clearer info

I know, right... I have the object selected and have clicked the mould tool and all the perspectives are grayed out. Won't let me select anything. Any ideas?

Sorry - none come to mind.
    Maybe you need to close down and restart Xtreme.

I'll try that

Question Re: make a 3d box for a software packaging

Fuss, what 'object' do you have selected? If the object you selected is the 'box' you created using the 3D tool you're not going to be able to do anything with it using the Mould tool. You'll want to select your box cover art/graphic, then select the Mould tool. After that you should be able to apply a 'default perspective' and mould your cover art to the box sides and top.

That make sense?

Give it a go,
    Harry
    Last edited by HayTay; 24 May 2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Changed wording

Doesn't make any sense to me to use a mould on an extrude and clearly neither did it to Charles

In any case, if you really want to do this, just righticlick>>Create Bitmap copy then mould/perspective to your hearts content

Lightbulb Re: make a 3d box for a software packaging

Steve, you're cracking me up! It didn't make any sense to me either. I know XX won't let you use the Mould tool on an extruded shape so it's the only reason I could think of, off the top of my head, why fuss could have the Mould tool selected but all of the perspective choices would be greyed out. Fuss mentioned 'object' but not anything about cover art, graphic, bitmap, photo, etc. That set a little bell to ringing in the back of my head and I thought I'd try to clarify exactly what 'object' fuss had selected.

Here's mini-how-to graphic and the XAR file to go with it. Maybe it'll help.

Let's see,
    Harry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D Extruded Box and Mould Tool Example for Fuss.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	72472  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yep, that's it in a nutshell Harry..

Straight forward, no fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Fuss, what 'object' do you have selected? If the object you selected is the 'box' you created using the 3D tool you're not going to be able to do anything with it using the Mould tool. You'll want to select your box cover art/graphic, then select the Mould tool. After that you should be able to apply a 'default perspective' and mould your cover art to the box sides and top.

That make sense?

Give it a go,
    Harry
    I am in a completely different file with my cover image. Doesn't have anything to do with the 3D tool. I'm doing exactly as you have indicated and it's just not allowing me to select any of the perspectives.