Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy SolidWorks loses ability to import from XaraX

I've just discovered that SolidWorks 2010 no longer imports AI files from XXP.

I got this from their Tech Support :-

In Solidworks 2010 as you observe we require Adobe Illustrator CS3 or newer to be installed to import AI files. This was an intended change... however there is an existing SPR, number 533632 which is open to gauge interest in restoring the old functionality to allow PRE cs3 files to be imported (AI 8, 9, 10, etc)

Do any CAD/Xara users know how I can get vector format files from XXP into Solidworks?
    I would be interested to know if XXP6 will produce CS3 AI files or have an API that Solidworks could use.

Default Re: SolidWorks loses ability to import from XaraX

If SolidWorks can import PDF files, that would be the best choice.

Adobe Illustrator CS3 uses PDF as it's native file format. Although it allows them to be saved with the .ai or .eps file name extension while maintaining the PDF format internally.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Unhappy Re: SolidWorks loses ability to import from XaraX

Thanks for th sugestion Soquili, but I've checked the import table and sadly PDF is not listed.
    It's a shame that they dropped the original import versions of AI, rather than adding a new one.
    Looks like I'll have to start a campaign over on the Solidworks Forum.
    Of course this would not be a problem if XXP had the DFX export that a lot of we CAD users have been asking for, for some time!