Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Web (Safe) Fonts from Fonts.com

I just rec'd an email from Fonts.com with the following link:
    http://webfonts.fonts.com/?utm_sourc...ign=Newsletter

Has anyone investigated?

Any opinions?

Default Re: Web (Safe) Fonts from Fonts.com

The service by Fonts.com is new but the concept has been around for awhile.

Fonts.com provides access to the fonts via a web service. A site using the service must include a script that must be created by accessing fonts.com.

If a person does not have the specified font installed, the font is made available via the service for use within the browser for viewing that web page. The font is not installed on the viewers machine, simply made available for temporary use.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I just had a look at fonts.com, watched the video etc. It looks promising and I'm anxious to try it out. I'm pretty tired of 'web-safe' font restrictions and would be happy to see them go the way of web-safe colours. If this sort of cloud-based font serving catches on I'd expect to see some of the big foundries jumping on the band-wagon. I'd be interested to hear what more you have to say about this, and others too. I mean, imagine, not being restricted to Arial and those other garbage type-faces! It would be great.
    Phil Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by philt View Post
    I mean, imagine, not being restricted to Arial and those other garbage type-faces! It would be great.
    Then imagine the horrible font choices some people might make that we would be forced to try and read

It's bad enough with some sites frying our retinas or causing instant nausea with the colour and design choices let alone having to deal with someones idea of a cool font.

Never mind only Web Safe, what of 'Eye-Safe'

Which is easier to read here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	websafe-eyesafe.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	71958

One corporation I worked for we had to mandate the font to be used for email. Some people's choice of font made them totally illegable.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Absolutely right Sledger. That was my first thought too. Just imagine! A multitude of typographically illiterate morons turned loose to wreak absolute havoc. Yikes.
    Phil Thompson

Guys, same problem with presentation slides I get.

Seriously, though, when there are branding considerations for a client, then having their web site use a font/font family that serves uniformity in their identity and "message", both for electronic and well as print media, is important.

Hi John,

I think we all agree with what you are saying about branding.

People being people, we can foresee some sites using fonts that may not be the best choice.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Massimo Vignelli, who knows his stuff, says 'We use way too many fonts', and he's right I think. although many disagree. His video clip here http://bigthink.com/massimovignelli is worth watching--and thinking about.
    Phil Thompson

People who want to use the weirdest fonts already have lots of choices, be it
    Cufon - using Javascript to replace text with SVG of your text with font of your choice
    sifr - replacing your text with flash representation with your font
    the webservice solution already mentioned.

What I personally dislike regarding the web service solution is the same as for example js libs hosted by i.e. Google, MS or others:
    1. You don't have control over what is delivered. They can change version and you do not notice. They can put anything else in it and you don't notice. Not even mentioning the fact that these companies can monitor usage of your pages ..
    2. You need to be careful about bandwidth. Like a lot of cloud based solution, you usually pay by used bandwidth/volume. If your site gains a lot of attention quick, it may not go down as your own server, but serve quick and make you poor even quicker.

Juergen