Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Web (Safe) Fonts from Fonts.com

Quote Originally Posted by juergen View Post

What I personally dislike regarding the web service solution is the same as for example js libs hosted by i.e. Google, MS or others:
    1. You don't have control over what is delivered. They can change version and you do not notice. They can put anything else in it and you don't notice. Not even mentioning the fact that these companies can monitor usage of your pages .Juergen
    Hi Juergen,
    There is a notable upside to having the font data managed by the service provider. When the data is enhanced with hinting for better on-screen display, adjusted to compensate for differences in browser rendering techniques, or expanded with additional characters, the customer receives these benefits. (disclosure: I'm a Monotype Imaging/Fonts.com employee)

Quote Originally Posted by jzsittnik View Post
    Hi Juergen,
    There is a notable upside to having the font data managed by the service provider. When the data is enhanced with hinting for better on-screen display, adjusted to compensate for differences in browser rendering techniques, or expanded with additional characters, the customer receives these benefits. (disclosure: I'm a Monotype Imaging/Fonts.com employee)
    Most certainly true. There will be scenarios like for example an ad campaign, where you only have the pro's and others like online banking portals, where you just have the con's. And probably a lot of others where you simply have to evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by philt View Post
    Absolutely right Sledger. That was my first thought too. Just imagine! A multitude of typographically illiterate morons turned loose to wreak absolute havoc. Yikes.
    Guys, same problem with presentation slides I get.

Seriously, though, when there are branding considerations for a client, then having their web site use a font/font family that serves uniformity in their identity and "message", both for electronic and well as print media, is important.

I wrote a review recently for Communication Arts Magazine (print version only) for the Adobe version of this via TypeKit Typekit offers web font service for a large number of foundries (type companies). It is OK if you want a site to have a very distinct look typographically, for example a large corporate website. But the service is not cheap and to be honest, I could not get it to work with DP6.

The process is interesting. You subscribe to the service based on the number of sites and number of fonts you wish to use. Add script to your HTML that sends the request and replaces the fonts in the browser with the specified fonts. Typekit claims that their high speed servers replace the text so quickly that no one will notice.

If the purpose of a website is to provide information and/or content, then the best font to use is the one that is the easiest to read, and preferably, one that has been designed fontmetrically speaking, for the web.

I would have to take issue with their claim that their servers change the type so fast that no one will notice.
    I brought up many of the example websites in the example gallery.
    They were all very slow to render, first in my browsers fonts, then with a noticeable ker-chunk, shifted over to the hosted web fonts.

I think it is a good idea, but from what I have seen I don't think it is ready for prime time just yet.
    - Andy