Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: What do you think about social network sites like Facebook?

Voters
186. This poll is closed
  • I love social networking sites. It’s a great way to keep in touch and a brilliant use of the web.

79 42.47%
  • Hate ‘em, hot air and self promotion. I know who my friends are, we actually talk to each other.

107 57.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think about social network sites like Facebook?

What do you think about social network sites like Facebook: A fantastic way to improve social interaction or the work of the devil?

Anyone can post in this thread and vote in the poll, even if you're not registered. But registering is recommended.
    IP

Default Re: What do you think about social network sites like Facebook?

I wouldn't really be that enthusiastic. But I enjoy using it and it keeps me in touch with relatives and friends who are far away
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

As it is there are not enough hours in the day, email works fine for me.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Info Re: What do you think about social network sites like Facebook?

I thought FB was safe & secure. I'm not so sure now. I've heard from knowledgeable sources that its security is quite vulnerable. Much personal information can be retrieved.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous!
    IP

Only two choices ... love or hate?

How about a choice like, "I participate to stay casually in touch with family & friends"?

Through Facebook, I can keep in touch with folk that I wouldn't normally email nor phone. That would include a myriad of nieces & nephews, brothers/sisters in-law, former brothers/sisters in-law, previously solid friends from earlier ages in my life, etc.

Security is never an issue if you pay moderate attention to changes in privacy policy (and set/modify preferences accordingly) ... and never post anything that you don't want others to view (text & pictures).
    Last edited by cursor; 29 April 2010 at 10:23 PM.
    IP

My general impression of Facebook is "Enough about me, let's talk about me. Some more."

I once posted the question, Is it all about you? No one responded.
    IP

Well not interactive enough, or not fast enough.
    Mostly is it about the number of friends count.
    Which are ofcourse, not your friends.

Tried Hyves, too cluttered, didnt even try facebook.

I go for Paltalk, you can chat through microfoon in a room
    (it's like Mirc, but then with a microfoon.)
    where you meet several people on a certain intrest.
    I can handle that, but the flutter remarks etc on hyves
    etc don't mean anything for me. I won`t even mention twitter.

Euh, could you call this a social forum?
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

The main thing I hate about facebook is that the user interface is incredibly bad. For example, things show up on your 'wall' (sort of like an unstructured forum), and you often have no way to see the thread that led up to them being there.

The next thing I hate is that they're a bunch of corporate whores. If you've been following the news, they just recently decided it would be ok to invade your privacy by 'auto-sharing' anything that might be commercially useful, like who among your buds said something about a new movie. Monetization coming soon, folks! You have to figure out it's happening, and then manually opt out.

The third bit of bile is directed at social networks in general: A recent Pew study shows that teens are increasingly unable to navigate face to face interactions. While this is mostly a byproduct of texting, social networks have to share the blame.
    IP

I do not understand yet what social networks are really good for besides displaying useless data to information junkies. For business networks this is a bit different but regarding the private use I am more scared than everything else.
    While 30 years ago people in Germany boycotted the census, they now voluntarily offer far more and pretty sensible data to companies who only have financial interests .
    What happens to all that data is not in our hands at all.
    And besides that, I see lots of data that can easily be abused in the hands of governments or companies that want to select groups of people for whatever reasons ...
    IP

I wouldn't say that I 'Love' them but they are a great way to convey information to willing masses. They are a good form of digital guerilla marketing for businesses with little or no budget and better for those that do have money and know how to use them.
    IP