Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Background resize

I started my web site using the beta theme and it has rectangles at the top and bottom. I am foreever changing the size of my pages and each time I have to fiddle with the bottom rectangle and the rectangle that overlays the background.
    So, with the new features of WD6 I thought I could simplify this. I made the background a rounded rectangle and created a fill with that was dark at the top and bottom. It looked like it would work perfectly, but resizing the page does not resize the rectangle, so that did not work. Any suggestions?
    My web site is gracehjs.com and attached it what I tried to do. Note that resizing the rectangle works fine, but not resizing the page.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Default Re: Background resize

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    I made the background a rounded rectangle and created a fill with that was dark at the top and bottom. It looked like it would work perfectly, but resizing the page does not resize the rectangle, so that did not work. Any suggestions?
    Works fine here Grace.

Here's what I did on a test page:
    [1] dragged a colour on to the page area
    [2] unlocked the page background layer
    [3] applied a linear fill
    [4] locked the page background again
    [5] resized the page manually or via the Utilities>>Options>>page [tab]

But my fancy complex fill disappears from the bottom when I do that.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

Unlock the page background and re adjust the fill handle Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Unlock the page background and re adjust the fill handle Grace.
    Ah but thats what I did not want to do. If I resize the rectangle it works as I expected, but when I resize the page it does not resize the rectangle, it just loses part of it.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

Ah but thats what I did not want to do.
    The page layer is a new special layer which did not exist as an unlockable/editable one in WD5.
    I expect there are some unique technical reasons why it doesn't work quite the same as a normal filled rectangle as you want. Perhaps you could mention your preference as feature request in the Dear Xara Web Designer.. fourm?

Thanks, having slept on it I think I can live with it this way. I just need to resize the rectangle before the page size.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

Doesn't static page widths seem a bit old fashioned and limiting?
    Have a look at point 9 on the page of Top 10 Web Design Mistakes.
    I would have to agree that having a fixed width allows you to control just the way the page looks, but when I have a 24" monitor and I see a narrow 900px wide screen, it is a bit frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdp View Post
    Doesn't static page widths seem a bit old fashioned and limiting?
    Not at all - quite the opposite infarct. Web2 sites are all static. Big corporate sites have been going this way for some time.
    Look at blogs, they aren't old fashioned by any means.

Have a look at point 9 on the page of Top 10 Web Design Mistakes.
    Isn't that site a bit old now? (by the way, it's also 'static' width design )

I would have to agree that having a fixed width allows you to control just the way the page looks, but when I have a 24" monitor and I see a narrow 900px wide screen, it is a bit frustrating.
    24" + monitors are mean't for displaying more than one window of content are they?
    For example. I can have a browser window open, a Xara application and an instant messenger while still seeing the desktop clock and so on. Space isn't for filling with one thing is it???