Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default "Trademark or registered trademark" statement

Anybody know why companies say "ProductX is a trademark or registered trademark of CompanyXYZ"? Why mention both, and not just one or the other? I found that this statement is prevalent in numerous websites, so there has to be a legitimate reason.

I Googled it and even contacted (phoned) www.uspto.gov for info, but they said that they have nothing to do with providing the statements. That's up to the legal dept of companies.

Interesting indeed.

Default Re: "Trademark or registered trademark" statement

I think the wording is to cover cases were a trademark has not completed the registration process in all areas of the world but is being used in many areas.

Lawyers like to cover all bases when possible.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

well it can be both - it could be registered in the USA say - but that does not mean that registration is legally in force world wide [the world being what it is], however it may still be a trade mark, but unregistered, in some of those places

websites have to look at the global picture

whats the difference between registered and unregistered?... heres some initial reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

I see Bill has answered - getting a registration in every corner of the globe can be time consuming and difficult, even for the proverbial multinationals.... especially if there is dispute with someone
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ahhh, makes sense. A name can be registered differently for each country and so such a global statement "is a trademark or registered trademark" is needed. Who needs lawyers when you have forums? :-D

Thank you, Soquili and Handrawn :-)
    "Leave it a lil better than b4."