Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Any tips on tablet PC keyboard shortcuts?

I recently bought a tablet PC, and l'm having problems with certain keyboard shortcuts while using Xtreme with the tablet in slate mode.

For example, to duplicate a shape while rotating it, you hold down Ctrl while holding the right mouse button and dragging a corner. But this is hard to do with a pen.

Any tablet PC users have any suggestions?

Default Re: Any tips on tablet PC keyboard shortcuts?

Hi Pixeldust,

a few thoughts :
    - If the tablet PC has any function keys, these could be configured (straightforward if you have Xtreme Pro, not so straightforward but possible otherwise)
    - Does your tablet PC come with support for entering commands with gestures rather than keyboard - If not, there's software out there that can help, though you will probably need to have the kind of tablet pen that has buttons on the side.

Which tablet do you have?

It's a Fujitsu Lifebook T900. It has five buttons on the screen bezel, and I'm still trying to get used to using them. One is a function button that can toggle secondary actions for the other buttons. Also, you can set the buttons to do something different if you hold them down instead of releasing them right away.

The pen has a rocker switch that can be programmed to do two actions. It's a Wacom digitizer. The tablet settings aren't as programmable as a regular Intuos or Cintiq, but there are some basic settings.

I'm also trying out a software app called StrokeIt that allows you to use pen gestures for different functions. It's pretty nice, but I haven't been able to find a way to do what I'm trying to do in Xtreme.

I also can't seem to assign the shift key to a tablet button, which would be really useful for Xtreme.

BTW, I do have Xtreme Pro (I got it partly because it allows custom shortcuts!)
    Last edited by PixelDust; 15 April 2010 at 08:42 PM.

just googled the t900 - that's a seriously nice piece of kit - I'm jealous now
    re: the problem of no shift button, you could assign another key to it, then use a keyboard remapper software to swap it for the shift key. This would be a case of last resort though - if it's a new computer, maybe give Fujitsu tech support a call?

If you can configure the pen rocker switch to act like middle mouse/ right mouse, then you're off to a good start.
    I've been working with strokeit for the last 3 weeks or so, and am extremely happy - I'm trying to make the time to put a tutorial together, though this will be based on using a mouse rather than stylus.

From: http://ts.fujitsu.com/products/mobil...book_t900.html
    Multiple touch is the capability to operate on the touch-screen with more than only one fingers at the same time.
    This means that you should have no trouble using this right?

Thanks, sledger - I did know about the on-screen keyboard, but it does get in the way sometimes. I may have to use it anyway, since the Fujitsu button utility won't let me assign Shift to a button. I can assign Control, Alt, and other keystrokes, but not Shift or Caps Lock.

BTW, I didn't get the touchscreen option - I just got the pen digitizer. I thought about it, but I wanted the Indoor-Outdoor screen.

StrokeIt is a pretty good utility though. I've already assigned some gestures for Xara and it seems to work pretty well.

Ah, well in that case I'd be looking at one of these

What version of windows are you on? if its Vista or Winds 7 I found Tablet PC helped me with a Wacom!
    Design is thinking made visual.

I'm on Windows 7.

Wow, sledger, that's a tiny keyboard!