Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of switching from CorelDraw

Hi, there,

I'm an intermediate CorelDraw user and don't really have any ties to it, either way.

My main interest is just doing my own artwork. No web, no print - just something to facilitate my own fine art or illustrations.

I'm not familar with Xara (yet).

Could someone describe how it might be better or faster or more productive than Corel?

Thanks so much.

- Paul

Default Re: Thinking of switching from CorelDraw

Hi AngelicLight,

Welcome to TG.

Why don't you download the 30 day trial and test drive it. The program is fully functional during that 30 days, it just doesn't have all the web templates with it....otherwise, fully functional...and test driving tends to give you a better answer if you do the comparison.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. I use both CorelDraw (X4) and Xara Xtreme Pro 5 and I find CorelDraw a bit on the clunky side, and slow to use. Xtreme on the other hand is very intuitive and has a shallow learning curve. As a Corel user, I'm sure you will find Xtreme a refreshing change. It has some great features like transparencies, blends and fills that are a lot easier to use than Corel. It also has a lot of the bitmmap functions that Corel PhotoPaint has too. There will be others along to confirm these feelings before long, I'm sure. You can't go wrong by downloading the trial from the Xara Home link at the top of this page and jumping right in. I see Ed has just beat me to it.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Paul
    Quite apart from using it to see the advantages for yourself, have a look at some Xara galleries, either at Xara.com or artist of the month sections of xaraxone.com to see what people have done with it.
    I'm sure a fair percentage of the people featured would have at least tried Coreldraw before settling on Xtreme.
    I'm sure this forum is friendlier than anything you'll find connected with Corel as well.
    Derek

The difference is similar to a sports car (Xtreme) and a big SUV like a Hummer. Xtreme is light weight but very fast and focused. CorelDRAW is an excellent product, but it tires to be all things to all people. As a result, you sacrifice speed and simplicity for a program that has more features and tools than anyone could ever learn or master, let alone use.

I started out with CorelDRAW in 1990. I wrote for COREL Magazine (monthly articles and tutorials) and did seminars with Rick Altman until about 2001. I discovered Xara in 1995 and have been a fan and user since then. It does about 98% of everything I need for illustration, graphic design and website design.

As suggested, download the trial version (it is full featured and does everything the paid version does including saving files and exporting images). If you have questions, you will be amazed how quickly you will get answers here.

Thanks so much, everyone.

I just downloaded and installed the demo and it does seem very focused and purposeful.

The one thing I didn't like about Corel, for all its positives, is how utilitarian it seemed - catering to the needs of the "jack of all trades" crowd, maybe.

But if you don't work in the printing environment, why should you get software that includes that stuff if it's just going to slow you down?

Thanks, all, for the comments so far - I think you might have a convert on your hands!

- Paul

Quote Originally Posted by masque View Post
    Paul

I'm sure this forum is friendlier than anything you'll find connected with Corel as well.
    Derek
    I thought Corel being 'less than friendly' was my imagination. It's kind of reassuring to find that other people have had the same experience.

Is there a layers function?

Yes, 'layers' are in the 'Object Gallery.'
    ~Fred

Are you looking at Xara Xtreme or Xara Xtreme Pro? The latter has more in its layer's options
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64