Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

At some point most of us will have to make the switch to XP. Anyone here using it yet? Anyone here running into problems?

Sheff

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

At some point most of us will have to make the switch to XP. Anyone here using it yet? Anyone here running into problems?

Sheff

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

no props at all,

and i´m a heavy duty all day xara user :b

but i remember there was already a threat to this topic. try search.

cu

FLySOLO

Just installed XP, and XaraX and everything else I've tried thus far appear to be fine.
    It looks as if it's going to be a good little operating system (he said, touching wood!!)

It took about 90 minutes all in and but for one minor glitch - overcome by removing a drivespaced pc card drive - and XP installed over Windows ME without a problem. Infinitely more stable platoform, some programs seem to run faster and the ClearType display effect alone is worth the price of admission to this user. Very pleased indeed!

If you've been thinking of switching from W2K to WinXP for more speed - then don't:

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/tc...029tcwinxp.xml

These tests show that Win2K is often significantly faster. So I'm sticking with Win2K, an OS which I'm VERY happy with - it's Windows done right!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Thanks Klaus
    This is good information. When I finally get around to building a new computer, I think I will upgrade the OS from 98 to Win2k. I was going to ask if people are using Xp home version or professional but after reading that review I will probably just go with win2k.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

After reading that article, I'm no longer even curious about XP. I am also very happy with Win2K.

Danny Huff
    http://www.asherrocks.com
    (I'm the guy who USED to have a lot of excess hair)

I asked this question to www.tek-tips.com fourm regarding these 2 OS XP & Win2K, they told me that XP is better eaven without seeing why, but looking at your link, you proved them wrong
    thanks Klaus Nordby for sharing this info

You should take any results produced by benchmarking software with a hefty pinch of salt.

They are designed to emulate "tasks that people do", but they don't refect real life PC use very well.

I have two PCs (AMD 1.4 512MB, and Sony Vaio 550 256MB). I've used Win2K and XP on both, and in day to day use XP is noticably smoother when switching around between apps, and things do start faster.

XP is, after all, an updated Windows 2000, based on the same code and given a fancier front end.