Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cleaning up the computer area

I am going on Friday the 12th to recycle all the computers and periphials that I have lying around the house. It's really hard letting go of some of this stuff because I keep thinking that I may need it but if I haven't used it in years, when will I ever? Time to let go. That includes my Vivitron CRT monitor that came with my 2nd Gateway...sob. Best CRT ever made, imo.

Anyhoo, besides computers they also take cell phones (have 2 to dontate) CDs and DVDs so I'm going through all the system CDs that I have starting with my first computer.

**I'd like to know if there's any reason in the entire world for me to hang onto my Gateway system restore CD with Windows 2000, W95 and W98 on it. If someone wanted to make a simple machine to play old games is my only thought but that wouldn't be me and I wonder if it would be illegal anyway.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Cleaning up the computer area

Nancy by recycle center are you referring to a place that refurbishes old systems and places them with people that need them?

If you are then please include the system CDs with the system when you donate it. It will make things easier for the recycle center.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No Bill, this is the county electronics recycle day (Friday and Saturday) that they have each month. None of the computers that I'm recycling even work. The Gateway that this belongs to is long gone. My mother used it for years and then it just couldn't handle the internet anymore (wouldn't open certain sites, etc.) and we had to upgrade her.

Edti: The monitor works but I don't know where I could donate it that someone would even want it. Everyone wants LCDs now.

It was just a thought Nancy. There are some locations around the country that will refurbish old systems then donate them to the needy.

I don't have the specifics at hand, but there is a location (in Kansas I believe) that will accept even non-working systems.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Also think about freecycle.org.

Thanks Guys. The freecycle.com is a good idea.

I've got a few Windows7 questions for things that are very annoying to me.

My desktop icons are too big. There's an area to change the size of your words (small, medium or large) but it doesn't seem to affect the icons. Would increasing resolution then changing to large words make it better?

Can you have 2 windows explorer windows open at the same time? I can't do it.

When I click to make a new folder, I get a pop up that says: destination folder access denied. continue skip cancel

If I try to copy to a folder, it says I need administrative permission. Can I turn off these popups?

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    My desktop icons are too big. There's an area to change the size of your words (small, medium or large) but it doesn't seem to affect the icons. Would increasing resolution then changing to large words make it better?
    Hold CTRL and roll your mouse wheel.

Can you have 2 windows explorer windows open at the same time? I can't do it.
    Yes. eg: Start>>Computer>>Open the folder or drive you need
    The Start>>Computer>>Open the folder or drive you need

When I click to make a new folder, I get a pop up that says: destination folder access denied. continue skip cancel
    Where are you trying to create a folder??

If I try to copy to a folder, it says I need administrative permission. Can I turn off these popups?
    Inadvisable, this is part of Windows UAC protection. (note: Vista's UAC was much more than Windows 7) You'll get used to it
    You will only see that particular prompt when copying to a system folder (like C:\program files) for example

A couple of variations to what Steve has already mentioned.

Right click on an empty area of your desktop then click View and select Large, Medium, or Small Icons.

To open a second Windows Explorer right click the Explorer icon on the task bar and select Windows Explorer.

There are multiple ways to accomplish many tasks within Windows 7.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Wonderful information, thank you. I can't believe I forgot to try the ctrl/scroll trick. I just used it over at my inlaw's house to help them see the screen words better.
    My icons look much more normal now.

I was trying to open two explorer windows with that taskbar icon. Both suggestions work...will save me alot of headache. I use to open explorers alot.

As for the popups, the admisistrative one will drive me nuts. When you are copying 100 folders, the last thing you want to do it stop for each one to tell it to continue. Very frustrating and seems pointless. I just told it I wanted to copy folders there so why tell me I need permission. I am the boss of it.

I'm moving all my runtimes to my Programs(x86) folder. That is where I'm making folders and copying. That is where they were (not x86) on my old computer.

I also tried to make a new folder under Libraries but it refused to let me. I made the folders in documents/my documents instead.

I still would like to know where "copy to folder' is. I am not hooked up to the internet with it yet and it's not answered in any of the HP help menus.

Would my external hard drive transfer files faster than using discs in my DVD drive? I have not hooked the external to the new machine yet. Would this save me time or take as long?

Very frustrating and seems pointless. I just told it I wanted to copy folders there so why tell me I need permission. I am the boss of it.
    Actually Nancy you are not. You own a license to use Microsofts software. It's their intellectual property. You only own your files.
    Certainly not pointless either.