Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default From xara xtreme to xara3D6

Hi
    I've been after a Stargate Atlantis Laptop Logo and screensaver for some time now (Yep, A devoted fan) and have managed to produce a logo using Xara Extreme. I think it came out well.

So now I wanted to take that Logo and make a screensaver using Xara 6 but I can't import the logo design from one program to the other. Something I'd thought would be possible given that both products come from the same company.

Is there a way to import my design into Xara 6.

Thanks.
    Fabian

Default Re: From xara extreme to xara 6

Hi Fabian,

The vector logo should import into Xara3D6. If you are trying to use an exported jpg, gif, etc bitmap image that will not work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: From xara xtreme to xara3D6

That would seem to be the case Soquili, Its not a vector logo to start with.

Whats the best way forward here.
    Last edited by fabian; 26 March 2010 at 07:20 PM.
    Fabian

I would suggest creating a vector version of the logo using the drawing tools within Xtreme. The font used in the logo is available for download, a google search turns up a few sources.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Well, well, well. I've been using X3D for some time but I never knew until reading this thread, that screensavers could be exported. I'd post mine here, but even at the lowest quality the .scr file is fairly large, weighing in at 1.6 MB.
    Attached is the animated .gif version.
    @ Fabian, you may find my tutorial of some use - see the link in my signature below. I used a round logo as it was easy just to copy a circle into X3D and add the .png file of the logo as a texture to the circle.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Fan of SGA too wish they'd make another series but I won't hold my breath. SGU is shaping up well though.

Your screensaver looks great,very authentic

Question Re: From xara xtreme to xara3D6

Thanks Bob
    I'll take a look at that Tutorial. I'm up to speed now as to how to get my logo into Xara 3D but still can't work out how to match the template to my design as it looks silly revolving on a circular disc.

I've seen other members logos (football emblems) that are of unusual design that isn't one of the standered templates you find in the program, so how do they get logo and template to match.

I'm sorry Dr Who
    But SGU is the biggest load of C**p on the SyFy channel. I can't belive this was conceived by the creators of "Stargate Atlantis". They could have easily made at least 1 more series of atlantis with the great story lines in the series.

Shame. .
    Fabian

Hi fabian,
    You need to see Bob's tutorial at http://talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39188 , this will give you all the information you need. You need to first create the logo in Xtreme then copy and paste into X3D; this will give you the shape you want. To get the image on the shape, you need to create a texture by exporting your Xtreme drawing as a png. Sometimes it's kind of tricky to get it lined up the way you want it, at least it is for me sometimes. Bob's tutorial will be most helpful. For a long time all I could do was text and didn't understand how to get a custom shape. Now, thanks to these guys I can do custom shapes as well.
    Last edited by wizard509; 02 April 2010 at 03:12 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    ... even at the lowest quality the .scr file is fairly large, weighing in at 1.6 MB.Saludos,
    Bob.
    Your .scr file will always be at least as large as the objects it contains. Check out the attached. I don't think you'll mind me playing with it as the image has the 'sample' text surrounding it, so no-one can make any commercial use of it. If you'd like me to proceed with this (free of charge) say so. Any background image and any sound may be used, in this sample, I chose background and sound at random, just as a sample.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Ok Larry
    I download Bob's most excelent Tutorial and its printed out beside me. If there's a small snag you can bet I'll find it. On the first page (where else) when you use "The shape editor tool" to trace around the shape you will eventually use to paste your texture too in Xara3D, is straight forward for Bobs shape, but mine is a little more tricky as you can see in the attachment.

Is there a way to trace the sloping sides of my logo.

Perhaps at 64 it takes more time to sink in, even with an excelent tute for help.

Thanks
    Fabian