Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara Xtreme 6

Default Re: Xara Xtreme 6

Never used Freehand. Illustrator replaced Freehand entirely by migrating it's features anyway (from what I understand).

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/il..._fhillmigr.pdf

If anything, Illustrator features should be migrated into Xara. So Xara, please buy Illustrator ha ha

OK, enough off topics from me today. hehe..

Xara6: when?

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellent View Post
    Xara6: when?

Traditionally Xara never make release dates known in advance.
    Do keep an eye on each monthly Outsider for hints though

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I just had to put my 2 cents in John you and Bill weren't the only ones to shudder at the thought of Adobe swallowing up Xara! Very scary thought indeed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Don't worry guys and gals. Xara had made a preventive step to avoid possibility of complete annihilation by the possible purchaser. That's called Xara LX. If Xara would be bought and Xtreme closed as a project by any other company, it would be still possible to continue as most of it's code base is not a property of Xara and the potential new owners. And that's probably why Xara was never bought by Adobe or Corel. They wouldn't do it being unable to eliminate competition this way.
    Now the MAGIX is a different story. They purchased Xara not to eliminate the competitor but to gain profits from the Xara products. So it's actually good for Xara as the new owner is interested in the commercial success of the company.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Now the MAGIX is a different story. They purchased Xara not to eliminate the competitor but to gain profits from the Xara products. So it's actually good for Xara as the new owner is interested in the commercial success of the company.
    When I initially heard the news that Xara was being bought by Magix I must admit to being extremely pessimistic about the fate of Xtreme - especially with the memories of CorelXara. But it's been over 3 years now and we've seen regular product updates and, in my opinion, definite improvement. A good decision by Charles.

Rich

A product is not alive just because it exists online as a source code. Continuous development maintained by a core team, support, newsletters, resources, documentation bla bla bla makes it a "product". I bought lots of software, paid lots of money (most was 400 british pounds) and the company went broke after 12 months. Small software companies have a hard life. So for Xara I'm glad someone 'big' like Magix saw the potential in Xara. To see updates every year makes Xara alive and kicking.

However, the direction Xara took in terms of web development over Vector tools is clearly Magix input. At first, I thought it's **** but the marriage of vector/design/WYSIWYG and web the way Xara handles it is amazing. It is a niche market. Saying that, I wish it had developed on both ends simultaniously, both vector tools and web. We can't have it all and never will

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellent View Post
    However, the direction Xara took in terms of web development over Vector tools is clearly Magix input.
    I should like to see your evidence of that?
    Perhaps the clues lay in Xara's history - their earlier WebStyle (now replaced by Web Designer) and Menu Maker software plus their file format.
    Even Corel marketed CorelXARA as a web-oriented companion to CorelDRAW.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I should like to see your evidence of that?
    Perhaps the clues lay in Xara's history - their earlier WebStyle (now replaced by Web Designer) and Menu Maker software plus their file format.
    Sure, this is all pure speculation on my side. From what I see, XaraXtreme changed since Magix got involved, to more of an web app:

Xara was in my understanding a direct successor of Artworks: a pure Vector drawing tool. From the first appearance of Xara it got more tools regarding 'design' over the years (e.g. Contour Tool/Bevel Tool). Even PDF/X was embedded, which is aimed at print designers.

Webstyle and Menu Maker were always seperate products.

Then the next Xara release after Magix bought Xara, it got more web tools. The last release also was more focussed on web, no new vector tools as previous releases. PDF/X was improved, hands down. It all looks it goes further towards Web development, especially after Magix.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Corel licensed Xara because it was known as a "Draw killer". They had to market it as "web-oriented" to distinguish it from Draw, which was their flagship product. They also wanted some of the technology in Xara. In 2001, at the CorelWorld conference, Derek Burney, then president of Corel, admitted that a number of the improvements in Draw 6 had been taken from Xara even though Corel wasn't supposed to have done that. I was there. I heard him say it.

Corel did me a favor when it brought out CorelXara. I'd been trying to get my hands on Xara for a while because I was tired of lumbering through Draw. I needed something I could actually do work with.

Charles Moir is a very creative and forward-thinking guy. He may have started developing the web components to keep the company busy while Corel was "marketing" Xara, or he may simply have been pursuing ideas he would have pursued anyway.

Gees, Allison.

That was the one conference I missed. Boston wasn't it?