Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara Xtreme 6

Default Re: Xara Xtreme 6

Quote Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
    I have supported Xara for the last 10 years buying all the upgrades etc. I just hope in this next version they put some development effort back in the vector tools.
    Same here. If Xara makes it, I buy it. Can't wait for the X6 release and hope there has been done _some_ work on vector tools!

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

+1 on the hope for new vector tools! And some attention to brushes!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I haven't bought a new copy since 3. Main reason for not upgrading is the slow speed at which vector tools are developed. I've requested true pressure sensitivity for ages, but the folks at Gaddesden seem more focussed on bitmap editing and web design. Sigh... And now I'm locked in with Illustrator (and there's a lot over there since CS4 in terms of speed and flexibility) but I still long for the fluidness of Xtreme and the clean uncluttered interface of Xara. (AND DON'T GO TOO FAR WITH THE GUI! XPE is far beyond my taste)

So, if there's good support for pressure sensitive tablets (Wacom, TabletPC) i'll step up the bandwagon again.

I will probably update it's now something I just do but I am getting near to saying if they don't deal with the brushes (i.e. as in Illustrator) I will not do it any more. Having said that Xara seems to listen to the gripes from PDF support up to the spell checker and I could name many more instances where this has happened.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I would more or less upgrade 'unseen' assuming it to be as good, or better than the last release. I just hope that with the new owners influencing things Xara is not going to start making 'less' of a great product in pursuit of greater sales among the template modification brigade who are after good looking results with minimum effort on their part.
    I'm fairly indiferent to the colour of the UI, in fact I now actually prefer the new darker colour, just so long as the program itself dosen't get dumbed down.
    Derek

Perhaps certain "features" could only load when needed, like live effects or bitmap editing do? Even better would be the option to set what loads as default at startup and what will be loaded "as needed".

No doubt this is too fanciful an idea, but I am a little concerned that Xtreme is moving away from the program I initially wanted, rather than closer to it. There are many users happy with the direction of development, but it is clear that large numbers here have been and are still asking for more focus on vector drawing.

The objects gallery was a good step forward, now can we bring the other galleries up to date? They are like something out of a time-warp. Drag and drop to add to clip art would be ideal, but, failing that, what about a "save as clip art option" on the file menu? How difficult would it be to have an option to use an icon driven interface for the alignment and distribution palette? Being able to assign hot-keys to line shapes would be fantastic, at least for me, as would an interactive line-width adjustment. By that I mean simply pressing and holding a key and using the mouse wheel to scroll through line-widths (yes I know how to scroll line widths now, it is just not worth using as it is -too clunky). I know we will not get a dedicated macro recorder, but I had to mention it anyway.

Having had my whinge, Xtreme is still the fastest and easiest vector drawing program around and I'll keep using it until something better comes along.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 02 April 2010 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    what about a "save as clip art option" on the file menu?
    ..definately +1

I really like the idea of being able to drag an image to the folders in the Designs gallery! I have a set of custom folders that I have created, and it would make a big improvement to my work flow. One thing I would like to add though would be a dialogue that would allow us to set the file format. Then if you are doing a website you could create your banners, and logos and any other images you need and simply drag them to a folder in the Designs gallery then the dialogue would pop up and give you the option of saving as a .xar or jpeg or png.

I totally agree with Albacore the brushes really need some attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellent View Post
    I'm not an 'Adobe Fan' but this comparision is simply wrong.
    Adobe CS4 contains 14+ programs total.
    $3,000.00 AUD / 14 = $214 AUD each
    Well, then Xara Xtreme pro is atleast 3 programs.
    a photo editor, a webdesigningprogram, and a vector drawing program
    oh I forgot the flash capabilities
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Don't forget XXP can be used for basic DTP! Now that takes us up to 5!

349.00/5= 69.80
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]