Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara Xtreme 6

Default Re: Xara Xtreme 6

I'm getting out of Xara's target group too...

Because of simple functions (like a correct PDF output, CMYK support, 'oldnew' vector tools etc.)

My employers (have two ) do not want to support a design tool that can't make those simple technical job. I have been struggling for Xara for many years, cause was very excited of Xara's abilities, friendly, reliability and speed.

Now I'm not. Even for me, being so fan of Xara, its product doesn't satisfy me everyday needs.

Xtreme is a really nice and powerful design tool! I mean that!
    But just for start or hobby. Or for lovers to solve the problems instead of working.

I won't 'sorry' for being rant, since feel sad right now, sad for beloved Xara and 10 years of being fan... It was so easy to pick the easiest way (picking CorelXara as a design tool) at the start, to finish in the dead end when you grown up.

As always, sorry for my English... And good luck to all of you!
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    We are not going to directly compete with Adobe in any foreseeable future...Please be a little bit more serious.
    That depends on what exactly you mean by "compete." Xtreme does indeed complete with Illustrator for my mindshare.

When I start a new illustration, the question is very prominate in my mind: Shall I do this in Illustrator, Draw, Canvas, or Xtreme? And I'm quite "serious" about that. Despite the other always-current software on my machine, I welcome projects that I can do in Xtreme.

I've been doing illustrations with the mainstream drawing programs since the mid-80s. My work runs the usual gamut, but is primarily illustration-centric. I'm as "jaded" as they come; I suffer from no emotional, illogical brand-loyalty. Any favoritism I have comes down to clean, effcient functionality.

I find it a very refreshing thing to have Xtreme as one of the choices. Fact is, I'd rather work in Xtreme than Illustrator (et al) for any work that suits it.

Truth is, all mainstream 2D drawing programs are mostly just repackaging of the same old kid's stuff. Most of them (Illustrator especially) feign "sophistication" with unnecessary complication. (Talk with any proficient FreeHand user.) But my few (so far) experiments with Xtreme have convinced me any truly proficient and talented Illustrator user can do downright stunning illustration work in Xtreme in a much more elegant and less tedious environment--at a speed that blows the doors off Illustrator's molasses-like performance. The whole experience is just more satisfying and enjoyable.

Except, for now, just one thing: Xtreme has got to have a properly-thought-out and elegantly powerful Bezier drawing tool (pen). For that, see FreeHand, not Illustrator.

So yes, Xtreme does need some basic improvement. But it certainly does not need all the confused, poorly-organized clutter of Illustrator. Put all that half-baked junk in Xtreme and you'll effectively remove its primary advantage: powerful elegance. To hold my interest (and in my opinion, to gain more mindshare among other AI, FH, CD, CV users) Xtreme needs to jealously guard that primary advantage as it adds carefully-integrated, carefully-thought-out, fully fleshed-out, and genuinely-innovative new functionality.

And by the way: Although I've only just played with it so far, I do not see any problem with incorporation of Web Designer functionality in Xtreme 5. It was done elegantly and unobtrusively.

What Xara has right now, though, is a somewhat confused product line, which results in a confused customer base...which prevents buying decisions. Should an Xtreme Pro user buy Xara 3D? Is Xtreme missing some of its features? Will Xtreme Pro 6 contain all the improved functionality of Web Designer 6, or will something be missing?

Understand: I really have no problem with:

Web Designer will continue to be developed as a separate program, intended for those who want its capability without having to buy Xtreme. But the intent going forward is for Xtreme Pro to always include all the functionality of Web Designer (and X3D). In effect, then, Xtreme Pro constitutes an all-inclusive "suite" (but as a single thoroughly-integrated application, not a mere purchase bundle), and for the Xtreme Pro buyer, it is not necessary to purchase Web Designer and X3D separately.

OR with:

Web Designer will continue to be developed as a separate program that works in conjunction with Xtreme Pro. But there is no dumbed-down sub-set of Web Designer in Xtreme Pro.

But I personally do not like:

Xtreme Pro contains some or even most of the functionality of Web Designer and X3D, to make Xtreme Pro more of a "bargain." But Web Designer and X3D are offered separately as full-featured separate apps.

To me, the latter actually makes Xtreme less elegant. It smacks of what Illustrator did with its 3D Effect which--although it added a few new wrinkles inherent in its treatment as a so-called "live effect"--is still a pitifully crippled subset of the functionality of the discontinued Dimensions. That approach would negatively affect my future buying decisions re Xtreme. Sometimes, less is more.

Either way, I think Xara seriously needs to clarify its intent in this regard. People make buying decisions when they don't feel confused. Despite its quite modest cost, I've been sitting here for weeks not purchasing Web Designer 6 simply because I don't know whether all its functionality will be replicated in Xtreme Pro 6, which I'll almost certainly buy.

JET
    Last edited by JET; 24 April 2010 at 02:51 PM.

Artistic Calligraphy brushes in AI
    What are "Artistic Calligraphy" brushes in AI? AI's brushes include Calligraphy Brush (basic thick/thin based on angle), Art Brush (stretches artwork along the spine path), Pattern Brush (tiles and bends artwork along the spine path), and Scatter Brush ("sprays" instances of the artwork along the spine path).

Of those, I would call Calligraphic the most ordinary (most drawing progams have something very similar), and is by far the one I actually use least. Of those, I would call Scatter the most poorly-implemented due to its gross faceting of the spine path.

Just curious as to which of those you are referring and (if Calligraphy) why you find it so valuable.

JET

Well considered responses JET, thanks for posting

I used to be a power user with Draw. One day the Corel VP of Marketing met with me and told me about this little company they'd 'bought', Xara ... I sort of snickered when he told me about it ... and abruptly stopped snickering when I saw it demo'd later on. He sent me a comp copy of CorelXara which I thought would make a handy companion to Draw ... turned out to work the other way ... Draw became a companion to Xara!! I've not missed an upgrade since and do not plan to miss upgrading my XPP5 to XPP6.

I too hope they fix the PDF problem and add some controls like image naming for websites and other things ... but in the main this product has gotten continually better every year and I for one will continue to support Xara with my purchases because I really do believe that the day will come when it will be THE software to own!!

My hat's been off to Charles & Kate for about 15 years and now I include the rest of the development team that have come onboard in between!
    Paul J
    "If it was easy ... everyone would be doing it!
    http://www.tactical-graphic-design.com

Quote Originally Posted by JET View Post
    What are "Artistic Calligraphy" brushes in AI? .......
    .......Just curious as to which of those you are referring and (if Calligraphy) why you find it so valuable.
    you didn't reference your quote - but a bit of reading back I see it was Peter [albacore] post #68

Perhaps a reference to artistic style - drawing freehand [style not program] as you would with a physical brush or pen, using a tablet and pressure sensitivity, to get an 'artistic-feel' effect in vector

You can't do this with pen that simply puts down a fixed width path. Sure you can shape that path afterwards - but to a freehand style artist that takes away all the sponteneity, and as like as not, takes [often a lot] more time

if you wany clunky - try using xtreme brushes that way ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by taccom View Post
    [...] I really do believe that the day will come when it will be THE software to own!!
    I am too a very loyal Xara customer and used it from when it was Artworks. But I have a different view here. If you wait for that day, it will never come: Adobe is bigger and releases and clutters (more or less) useful tools into AI every year, just concentrating on improving vector tools.

Xara does not aim to be Illustrator and plays on various fields such as webdesign. Xara simply can't be compared to anything else out there. PDF export is a very complicated topic and I'm very grateful Xara supports it - but it's not the same as in Illustrator/Indesign and will never be.

alexbozhenov, I do know where you come from because I'm in a similar situation. Luckily I have found alot of workarounds and Illustrator/Indesign are good companions to Xara for me. It's great tool to use as a single user. In a collaborative studio environment you'll find pretty much yourself the only staff member using Xara though.
    Last edited by Xcellent; 27 April 2010 at 01:50 AM.

If I can amplify what I was trying to say on post #68, Handrawn has got it right, I was referring to the way Xara describes and uses brushes and not as it is done in Illy where each type of brush is clearly defined. In Illy you can libraries for calligraphic, scatter, art, and pattern but in Xara you are limited to using a new/existing brush and then selecting the stroke/pressure profile. This is fine for simple drawings but in my job I am doing quite a few cartoons to enliven boring national health service newsletters to make people want to read the info in them.

My illustration style is to try and make them look if they were done by hand or that they were done using a certain type of media and they have to have the ability to be enlarged or I would just use a paint programme. Now the rub is like Xcellent I started using the computer for a drawing tool from ArtWorks onwards and I have become very comfortable with this programme. Because of work people would like me to use Illy and now I am just as comfortable with that and have the ability to use the very expressive brushes that are available in AI which makes that programme better for drawing cartoons. Now I am talking about either about the Paintbrush & Pencil Tool and not the Pen Tool here a long with the ability to copy & paste from PS.

What I would like people to do is if they have a copy of AI on their machine is to use any of the above tools a long with some of the brush libraries that are available and then try to get the same effect using any of the similar brushes which were made available by Xhris a few years ago which were great at the time. I would also ask people to change the colour of the supplied brushes and use any of the brushes on your own pictures and see how slow your machines runs. As a vector drawing programme I am more than happy with Xpro 5 and I don't think I need a FreeHand pen tool cos I think my speed using the shape editor tool is far quicker least it was in an office only two years back and if I can make a suggestion have a look at one of Bob Hanns videos if you don't believe me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pilot.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	71752  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.

I am happy to see that Xara Xtreme is continuing to develop.

I am upgrading my Windows Vista system to Windows 7 and was pleased to see that Xara Xtreme was on that Microsoft compatibility list. I am also purchasing a new 64 bit Windows 7 system.

The one thing that concerns me is the new system will be 64 bit (old system is 32 bit.)

I gathered that Microsoft would not make the claim of compatibility of Xara Xtreme in the Windows 7 operating system if such did not apply to both 32 and 64 bit systems?

Is this a correct assumption on my part. Thank you in advance for addressing my concern.

I have Xtreme Pro 4, Xtreme 5, and Xtreme Pro 5 running on my Windows 7 32bit desktop and 64bit laptop systems. Every works well on both systems.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update